I’m totally hopping on the salted caramel trend AND the brown butter trend in a big way with these Brown Butter Blondies with Salted Caramel Buttercream. I mean, c’mon, these are amazing!
The nuttiness of the brown butter, the salty sweetness of the buttercream, and the chocolatey chunks of the blondies – how could you go wrong?
Why Brown Butter Blondies are So Good
As you probably know by now, I’m a big fan of desserts that are uncomplicated and satisfy my insatiable sweet tooth. These brown butter blondies meet that criteria and more.
Now, don’t get me wrong, there are a few components to these bites of deliciousness, but they are worth every bit of extra effort you’ll put in – and each of the components are so uncomplicated. Believe me. You’ll want to make these again and again. And eat them again and again.
Reasons why these blondies kick ass
- They combine lots of complementary flavors into one no-frills dessert
- Brown butter (need I say more? maybe one more…)
- Salted caramel (need I say more now?)
- You’ll likely have extras of the salted caramel buttercream – eat it with a spoon, it’s to die for
How can I Customize Brown Butter Blondies
This recipe is also pretty customizable, if you so choose. You can bake up the blondies by themselves (naked, as I like to refer to them), you can use chocolate chips or caramel chips instead of chopped dark chocolate, you can skip the buttercream frosting and simply drizzle the salted caramel on top of the naked blondies, you can substitute half the chocolate for nuts – sky’s the limit!
Useful Kitchen Tools for Making Brown Butter Blondies with Salted Caramel Buttercream
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
If you’re looking for more Blondies recipes, give these a try:
Brown Butter Blondies with Salted Caramel Buttercream
The nuttiness of the brown butter, the salty sweetness of the buttercream, and the chocolatey chunks of the blondies – how could you go wrong with these Brown Butter Blondies with Salted Caramel Buttercream?
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: About an hour
- Yield: 20 blondies 1x
- Category: Blondies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 8 tablespoons (112 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (190 grams) packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 1 cup (120 grams) all-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ cups (213 grams) dark chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature, cubed
- ¼ cup (59 grams) heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
Salted Caramel Buttercream
- 2 cups (240 grams) confectioner’s sugar
- ½ cup (112 grams) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) heavy cream
- Salted Caramel
- Bake the Blondies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper, buttering tops of the parchment. Melt the butter in a small saucepan, cooking and stirring until the butter is just browned (be careful not to cook too long or it’ll burn). Pour butter into a large bowl and add brown sugar. Whisk until combined and butter is slightly cooled. Add in egg, vanilla and salt, mixing well to combine thoroughly. Gently fold in flour then chopped chocolate. Do not overmix. Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 22-25 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes, then carefully lift out of pan and allow to cool completely on wire rack
- Prepare Salted Caramel: In medium saucepan, heat sugar over medium heat, stirring constantly. Don’t worry when you see the sugar becoming clumpy. It will begin to melt into an amber colored liquid as you continue to heat and stir it. Keep an eye on it, as you don’t want it to burn. Once sugar is completely melted, add in butter (be careful, it may splatter!) and whisk until fully incorporated. Slowly drizzle in the heavy cream while stirring the mixture. Boil for one minute then remove from the heat and stir in the salt. Allow to cool while you make the buttercream
- Make the Buttercream: In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment affixed, combine the confectioner’s sugar, butter and heavy cream, mixing until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Turn the mixer off, add in the cooled salted caramel sauce (reserve a small amount to drizzle on top later) and stir to combine evenly
- Frost the blondies: Spread the buttercream evenly over the cooled blondies, then drizzle the reserved salted caramel over top. Cut into small squares and dive in!
- You may have extra buttercream frosting. Eat it by the spoonful! Or put it in the fridge for another use
- Inspired by and adapted from Smitten Kitchen.
Keywords: blondies, salted caramel, brown butter blondies, chocolate chip blondies, brown butter desserts, salted caramel dessert, salted caramel desserts, caramel brownies, caramel blondies, chocolate caramel blondies, salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bars, cookie bars, frosted cookie bars, buttercream frosted cookie bars, salted caramel blondies, caramel blondie recipe, salted caramel blondie brownies, salted caramel sauce, salted caramel frosting