Have you ever had Brown Sugar cookies?! These things are amazing! For all you sugar cookie lovers out there, get on over here and try this out.
Not only are these Brown Sugar Cookies loaded with flavor, they also have cinnamon and cardamom in them making for a super delicious, subtlety spiced bite that’s sure to please taste buds near and far.
Please note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made by clicking the links in my post.
*Original recipe published March 2019. Recipe updated September 2020
Brown Sugar Cookies vs. White Sugar Cookies
Traditionally, sugar cookies are made with white sugar which produces a crispier cookie. I wanted to vary it up a bit and throw some different flavor combos in there, ya know, to keep life interesting!
And this Brown Sugar Cookie does not disappoint. It resembles a snickerdoodle in a way, however, the addition of brown sugar instead of white creates a moist (sorry for using that word!) and chewier cookie with notes of molasses.
The addition of cardamom brings a subtle spicy flavor combo to the cookie. You can, of course, use all cinnamon instead of adding the cardamom, however, I highly recommend giving it a try. Cardamom is a warm, very special spice that adds something really nice to this cookie.
And, let’s just talk about those crackled tops… Yum! Rolling these Brown Sugar cookies in a combination of white sugar and brown sugar before baking helps create those beautiful crackled tops. Meanwhile, the interior of these cookies remains oh-so-chewy due to all that brown sugar.
How to make Brown Sugar Cookies
Putting these cookies together is really simple. Be prepared, however, the cookie dough does require at least two hours in the fridge before baking. So allow time for this when planning.
It all starts with melted butter. The melted butter helps produce the chewiness in this cookie. Then we add in a small amount of granulated sugar and a heck of a lot of brown sugar. The granulated sugar helps add a bit of crispness to the cookie and that brown sugar, well, that creates a delicious flavor and superior softness and chew.
We add one whole egg and one egg yolk for extra richness, then add in the dry ingredients. Allow the dough to chill in the fridge for at least two hours before rolling the dough then rolling in a mixture of granulated and brown sugars then baking. The time in the fridge is critical to allow the flour to properly hydrate and for the dough to develop more flavor.
Why are my Brown Sugar Cookies flat?
These Brown Sugar Cookies are flatter than other cookies, however, don’t let that fool you into thinking they’ll be too crispy. The brown sugar helps these cookies retain moisture and, hence, remain chewy when baked.
There are recipes for Brown Sugar Cookies out there that call for adding corn starch to achieve thicker cookies. I didn’t feel these cookies needed it. They are perfect just the way they are!
Can I substitute the Cardamom for another spice?
Now go forth and bake up some of these beauties! You’ll love ’em, and so will all your friends and family. Mine certainly do!
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Looking for more cookie recipes? Give these a try:
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cookies
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Matcha Green Tea Shortbread Cookies
- Strawberries and Cream Cookie Sandwiches
Brown Sugar Cookies
Not only are these Brown Sugar Cookies loaded with flavor, I also added in cinnamon and cardamom making for a super delicious, subtlety spiced bite that’s sure to please taste buds near and far.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes + 2 hours chilling time
- Yield: 36 cookies 1x
- Category: Sugar Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Cookies
- 12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks / 168 grams) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 ½ cups (285 grams) dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar + ¼ cup (47 grams) dark brown sugar whisked together to remove lumps, for rolling
- In a large mixing bowl, add the melted butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Whisk vigorously to combine until smooth. Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla, again whisking vigorously to combine until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cardamom and whisk to combine. Add to wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not overmix. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least two hours or overnight.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and allow it to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes to make scooping and rolling easier. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats. Using a 1-tablespoon scoop, scoop dough and roll into a ball between your palms then toss in the sugar mixture to coat all sides. Place onto a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake until the edges are just brown and tops start to crackle, about 10-12 minutes, rotating trays front to back and top to bottom halfway through baking. Cookies may look underdone and slightly puffed when you remove them from the oven. They will continue to bake on the trays and they will flatten as they cool. Allow cookies to cool on the trays
- Store in airtight container for 4-5 days at room temperature
Keywords: brown sugar cookies, cinnamon, cardamom, chewy brown sugar cookies, best brown sugar cookies, crackle tops, soft brown sugar cookies, easy brown sugar cookies, chewy sugar cookie recipe
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER! PIN THE IMAGE BELOW TO PINTEREST
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.