- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- ½ cup refined coconut oil solid, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups dark brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk stirred well
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups vegan chocolate chips plus more for top of the cookies
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200ºC). Line two baking sheets with silpats or parchment paper. Set aside.
Prepare the flax eggs by whisking together the water and flax meal and place in the fridge until needed.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the coconut oil and brown sugar. Scrape down the sides and mix again until it looks like wet sand.
Add the coconut milk and vanilla and mix on medium speed until evenly incorporated and light in color, 1-2 minutes.
Add flax eggs and mix on medium speed for 1 minute, scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue mixing until thoroughly combined and light in color, about 2 minutes total.
With the mixer off, add in the oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
Add in chocolate chips and stir again to combine.
Using a ¼ cup ice cream scoop, scoop dough and place on cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
Add additional chocolate chips to the top of each cookie by pressing them gently into the tops.
Bake one tray at a time for 4-5 minutes, then rotate the tray and bake for another 4-5 minutes, until just starting to turn golden brown at the edges.
Allow cookies to cool on the trays (they’ll continue cooking slightly on the trays).
- Store cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days
- To freeze, place cooled cookies in a freezer-safe ziplock bag for up to 3 months. Remove desired amount and warm gently in the microwave at 50% power until warmed through and melty, 30-60 seconds
- Inspired by the Doubletree Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe and countless others
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 49.9g | Protein: 4.3g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 12.4g | Sodium: 258.1mg | Fiber: 2.8g | Sugar: 29.3g