Servings: 12 servings
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour or 1:1 gluten-free flour
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar such as Wholesome Foods brand
- ¾ teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
Prepare the Flax Eggs:
In a small bowl, place the flax meal and pour in the water.
Stir to combine and set aside for at least 5 minutes while you begin preparing the doughnut batter.
Prepare the Donut Batter:
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour, brown sugar, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flax eggs, coconut milk, vanilla, and vinegar.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon to blend.
Add in the melted coconut oil and stir until evenly combined. The batter will be thick.
Spoon batter in a gallon-sized ziptop bag and cut a ½-inch triangle off one of the corners to create a piping bag.
Twist the top of the bag to prevent batter from pushing out of the top while you’re piping.
Pipe the batter into prepared pans, filling them to the top but not overflowing.
Bake doughnuts for 11 to 12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean.
Remove the doughnuts from the oven and allow to cool in pans for 1 minute. Carefully turn doughnuts out onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and coconut cream.
Heat for 45-60 seconds, or just until the coconut cream is steaming and starting to bubble.
Stir until the chips have melted and the icing is smooth.
Dip the top of each doughnut in the icing and set on wire rack.
- Doughnuts will keep at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Warm in the microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power prior to serving
- Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour
Calories: 508kcal | Carbohydrates: 64.6g | Protein: 6.1g | Fat: 26.9g | Saturated Fat: 18.6g | Sodium: 262.4mg | Fiber: 5.1g | Sugar: 41.2g