Prep Time: 15 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 13 minutes minutes
Total Time: 28 minutes minutes
Course: All Recipes, Dessert, Snacks
Servings: 18 servings
- ½ cup unsalted butter cold and cut into cubes
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- 18 chocolate coated caramel candies such as Rolos, unwrapped
- flaky sea salt optional, for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, granulated and brown sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. In a separate medium sized bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together. With the mixer on low, slowly add to the wet ingredients. Stir in the milk, then fold in the dark chocolate chips. The dough will be thick and very sticky.
Roll dough into approximately 36 - 1 tablespoon-sized balls. Place a caramel into half of the balls of dough. Top each caramel with another ball of dough and seal down the sides so that the caramel is securely stuffed inside. Very lightly sprinkle each with sea salt.
Bake for 12-13 minutes. Cookies will appear underbaked and very soft. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cookies stay fresh and soft in an airtight container up to 7 days
- Baked cookies can be frozen up to 3 months
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 31.2g | Protein: 2.9g | Fat: 12.1g | Saturated Fat: 7.5g | Cholesterol: 24.6mg | Sodium: 152.5mg | Fiber: 1.7g | Sugar: 24.1g