- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups applesauce store-bought or homemade, smooth or chunky
- powdered sugar or caramel sauce for dusting or for drizzling
Preheat oven to 350ºF (177ºC). Grease and flour a bundt pan or a 9 inch by 9 inch metal baking pan. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and both sugars on low speed until blended.
Increase speed of mixer to medium-high and beat 3 minutes until well combined and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in applesauce (don’t worry if the mixture looks curdled, it’s supposed to look that way!).
Beat in flour mixture on low until smooth, scraping bowl occasionally with rubber spatula to ensure it’s fully mixed.
Scrape batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean (bake time is the same for both the bundt pan and the 9×9 pan).
Cool completely on wire rack. Just before serving, dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with caramel sauce. Slice and serve!
Recipe adapted from Good Housekeeping’s Great Baking cookbook
- Feel free to substitute store-bought applesauce for homemade
- Cake can also be made in a bundt pan or smaller pie pans. Reduce baking time if splitting the batter among a few smaller pans
- Store cakes wrapped tightly in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 2 days. Refrigerate or freeze for longer storage. Store cakes naked (without powdered sugar or caramel sauce)
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 277kcal | Carbohydrates: 42.9g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10.4g | Saturated Fat: 6.1g | Cholesterol: 61.6mg | Sodium: 317.1mg | Fiber: 1.4g | Sugar: 22.1g