- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon espresso powder optional
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup milk room temperature
- ¼ cup full-fat sour cream or plain full-fat Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Glaze, optional
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons milk
Make the Mini Donuts
Preheat the oven to 350°F (177ºF). Spray a mini donut pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder, if using. Set aside.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, milk, and sour cream until smooth.
Add in the melted butter and vanilla, whisking until fully combined.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix. The batter will be thick.
Add the batter to a piping bag or ziploc bag with ½ an inch of one corner cut off. Pipe the batter into the donut cavities, filling each about ½-⅔ of the way. Do not overfill.
Bake for 7-8 minutes or until the edges are just lightly browned. (For mini muffins, bake 9-10 minutes)
Allow to cool for about two minutes and turn out onto a wire rack set on a large piece of parchment paper or over a baking sheet.
Allow donuts to cool down a couple of minutes until you can handle them.
Chocolate Glaze (Optional)
Combine the chocolate chips and milk in a microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup. Heat for 30 seconds on high or until the liquid is steaming and starting to bubble.
Stir until the chips have melted and the icing is smooth.
Dip the top of each doughnut in the icing. Garnish with sprinkles, if desired.
- Store doughnuts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days; freeze without glaze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature then glaze and serve
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 45kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 43mg | Potassium: 23mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 60IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg