Bring traditional Irish Soda Bread home with this easy, passed-down recipe. This quick bread recipe comes together easily with no rising time necessary.
And that's because there's no yeast to leaven it. If the idea of baking bread at home frightens you because of the yeast, this Irish Soda Bread recipe is the perfect bread recipe for you.
Please note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made by clicking the links in my post.
Homemade Traditional Irish Soda Bread
I was fortunate enough to taste this soda bread when it was made by a colleague of mine and brought in for a potluck.
We slathered it in Kerry Gold butter, of course, and it was just perfect.
Luckily, he was willing to share this passed-down family recipe with me so I could share it with all of you!
There's nothing quite like a generations-old recipe that lives on for new generations to bake and enjoy.
How to Make Irish Soda Bread
The secret to Myra's Irish Soda Bread is the butter and buttermilk. Many Irish soda bread recipes have just a little bit of butter in them.
This one has more butter than most recipes do and it creates the perfect texture to this traditional bread.
The addition of buttermilk keeps the bread moist as well as contributes to the rise. When combined with baking soda, buttermilk helps to leaven the bread, so no yeast is needed.
This recipe is a wonderful quick bread, especially for those who may be fearful of baking breads with yeast.
Irish Soda Bread is baked in a round pan and has a crisp exterior with a light crumb. This recipe has a bit of sugar in it, but the bread is not overly sweet.
The raisins are a wonderful contrast to the texture of the bread and give it the traditional look and flavor of Irish soda bread. Caraway seeds are optional.
Begin by mixing the dry ingredients with your hands. Next, work the butter in with your hands, stir in the raisins, and mix in the buttermilk and egg a little at a time.
Next, form the dough into a rough round and place in a greased pan.
Dust the top lightly with flour.
Using the wrong end of a fork (aka, the end you hold) cut a deep cross into the top of the bread. Now you're ready to bake!
Tips for Making Myra's Irish Soda Bread
- Don't be afraid to get in there with your hands on this one. Wash them thoroughly, of course, then use them to mix the dry ingredients. This will create a light and fluffy mixture, helping to maintain a lightness to the finished bread
- Use your hands also to work in the butter. Be sure your butter is softened, but not melted. I like to leave the butter out on the counter overnight if I know I'm baking the next day. If you forget or don't have the time, leave it on the counter for at least 60 minutes, unless it's particularly warm in your kitchen and you can get away with 30 minutes. If your butter is still too cold, place in the microwave on a microwave-safe dish for 8-10 seconds. You should be able to press down on it easily leaving a dent
- Once the dough has come together, dust your work surface with flour and dump the bread on to it. Dust the top and sides with flour as well so that you can more easily form the dough into a ball shape without it sticking to your hands. I like to leave a small pile of flour on the side of my work surface so I can easily grab a little as I need it
Useful Kitchen Tools for Making Myra's Irish Soda Bread
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Looking for more easy bread recipes? Check these out:
12 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories341
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 5.7g 29%
- Cholesterol 54.7mg 19%
- Sodium 172.6mg 8%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.9g 8%
- Sugars 21.1g
- Protein 7g 15%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.