One of the best things to emerge out of the current pandemic (trying to look at the bright side here!) is the emergence of food trends.
We are all spending the vast majority of our time at home, so those who like to experiment in the kitchen are taking this opportunity to do just that. And a lot of it! And I’m totally here for it.
Along with bread baking, Dalgona Coffee has become a hot food trend. I’ve tried it and I love it and I’m currently trying to find all kinds of desserts in which to use it.
And, so this beautiful Dalgona Coffee Chocolate Cake was born. And you’re gonna love it, maybe even more than the trendy coffee drink itself!
Please note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made by clicking the links in my post.
What is Dalgona Coffee?
Dalgona coffee is basically whipped, sweetened instant coffee.
And its origins seem to be disputed, but it’s fair to say Dalgona coffee has been around a lot longer than the current pandemic.
It’s seen a resurgence thanks for social media and boy, am I glad it’s made its way into our lives!
How to Make Dalgona Coffee
Whip for a few minutes until silky, glossy peaks of whipped coffee form.
Whipping the coffee can be done by hand or by mixer.
What I recommend is to start whisking the Dalgona coffee by hand, then once the mixture has increased in volume, use the mixer to finish whipping the coffee.
If you do not own a mixer, you can whisk all the way by hand. It’s a great arm workout, as it’ll take about 3-4 minutes to achieve the beautiful, silky texture to the Dalgona coffee.
How to make a Dalgona Coffee Chocolate Cake
This chocolate coffee cake recipe is pretty darn easy to make.
It’s my basic chocolate cake recipe which I used to make these Sour Cream Fudge Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting and these Halloween Spider Cupcakes.
This is the best chocolate cake. It’s moist and fudgy and simply perfect – all the best qualities you could ask for in a chocolate cake.
Bake the cake in two 8-inch cake pans and allow them to cool. Then, whip the Dalgona coffee and mix into mascarpone whipped cream. Fill and frost your chocolate cakes and you’re done!
I am by no means a cake decorator. If you’ve been following along you’ve probably read my statement about this over and over again. I like to fill and frost as simply as possible.
For this Dalgona coffee chocolate cake, the same frosting is used to fill the cake as it is to top the cake.
Add a couple of chocolate shavings (my way of decorating cakes) and you’ve got yourself one fine chocolate cake.
Tips for Making Dalgona Coffee Chocolate Cake
- To make the Dalgona coffee, I recommend you start out by whipping the ingredients together by hand then switch to a stand mixer or hand mixer. This will allow some volume to be created so the mixer can continue whipping. I have tried to whisk it straight away with the stand mixer and there was not enough volume in the bowl for the whisk to actually whisk everything together. Whisking the ingredients together by hand will take about a minute or so before you can begin whisking with the mixer
- You’ll know the Dalgona coffee is done when it’s silky smooth and stiff peaks have formed. What this means is that when you lift the whisk out of the whipped coffee, the peaks hold their shape. If the peaks fall over, keep whisking for another minute or so
- I recommend leveling the cake layers before filling, stacking and frosting them. This means removing the domed or rounded top of the cake. To do this, use a serrated knife or cake leveler. Hold it parallel to your countertop and saw across the top of the cake to remove just the domed top and create a flat surface. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect. This cake is not meant to be fussed over
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Looking for more Chocolate recipes? Give these a try:
- Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes with Sour Cream Frosting
- Bakery-Style Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Chocolate Mint Brownie Cups
- Kickass Brownies
FOR ALL MY FAVORITE BAKING TOOLS INCLUDING THOSE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT MY BAKING RESOURCES PAGE!Print
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.