We all need an easy, reliable and extremely delicious chocolate cake recipe in our repertoires for any occasion that calls for cake, am I right? Well, here's your new go-to one bowl chocolate cake recipe!
Best part is that this cake is made using only one bowl. So, very few dishes to wash afterwards, which means more time for digging in and enjoying this delicious One Bowl Chocolate Cake!
Please note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made by clicking the links in my post.
The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe
Creating an easy but deliciously moist and chocolatey one bowl chocolate cake recipe was the goal here and I had a lot of fun experimenting to achieve it.
This recipe contains just the basics. No special ingredients that'll have you running to the store.
That's the point of having a back-pocket chocolate cake recipe. You can whip it up at a moment's notice with only pantry and fridge staples.
In-laws are stopping by after dinner? No problem! Friend's birthday is today?
Got a quick cake recipe for that! New neighbors just moved in across the street? This one bowl chocolate cake it perfect for all these occasions and more.
The Secret to Moist Chocolate Cake
The secret to ultra moist chocolate cake is a few key ingredients.
First is the addition of an extra egg yolk. The extra yolk provides this one bowl chocolate cake with a good amount of richness while helping the cake stay moist and maintain structure.
Next is the buttermilk. Buttermilk helps add flavor and moisture to this cake recipe without adding a lot of fat.
Vegetable oil also serves the purpose of keeping this cake moist while also creating a lofty and even crumb. Check out the pics to see just how beautiful that crumb is!
Lastly, is the secret ingredient that doesn't necessarily add to the moistness of this chocolate cake, but helps boost the chocolatey flavor to the max. That secret ingredient is coffee!
Now, don't be afraid of adding coffee to this one bowl chocolate cake if you don't like coffee. You won't taste it in the baked cake.
Coffee helps elevate the flavor of chocolate, so adding it in does just that without an overpowering flavor of coffee. Try it, I think you'll really like the results!
Ingredients Needed to Make One Bowl Chocolate Cake
Here is a list of the ingredients you'll need to make this One-Bowl Chocolate Cake:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Egg + Egg Yolk
- Vegetable Oil
- Hot Coffee (or substitute with hot water)
- Vanilla Extract
Tips for Making Chocolate Cake
- This chocolate cake recipe uses hot coffee in the batter to bring out the chocolate flavor of the cocoa powder. I would highly recommend giving it a try, even if you don't particularly like coffee. The coffee flavor is virtually undetectable in the baked cake, but does enhance the chocolate flavor in the best way possible. If you are really opposed to adding coffee to your cake, simply substitute the coffee for hot water. The same holds true for the chocolate fudge frosting recipe I share here to complement the cake. If you would prefer to make the frosting without the coffee, simply omit it
- Like most baked good recipes, I recommend bringing your eggs to room temperature before adding them to the batter. This will help the eggs evenly incorporate into the batter creating an even crumb and texture to your finished cake
- The cake recipe I share here is made in one bowl, but I couldn't resist sharing a frosting recipe to go along with the cake! You can, of course, use any frosting your heart desires or forgo the frosting altogether. Keep in mind this frosting recipe is made using a mixer and you will need to melt the chocolate on the stove top. Melting the chocolate can be done instead in the microwave. To do so, place the chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring between, until chocolate is just melted
- I shared my go-to Chocolate Fudge Buttercream Frosting recipe here for you too. It's easy, silky smooth and not as sweet as most buttercream, which I really like. Feel free to forgo frosting altogether if you so choose or switch it up for your fave frosting recipe
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Looking for more Chocolate recipes? Give these a try:
- Dalgona Coffee Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Madeleines
- Baked Chocolate Fudge Doughnuts
- Milk Chocolate Mousse
16 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories300
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 11g 56%
- Cholesterol 39.8mg 14%
- Sodium 132.7mg 6%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.1g 5%
- Sugars 31.7g
- Protein 2.5g 5%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER! PIN THE IMAGE BELOW TO PINTEREST
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.