Banana bread is a staple recipe in many kitchens. Even my friends who don’t like to bake often tend to have a go-to banana bread recipe handy for when that bunch of bananas sitting on the kitchen counter go uneaten every now and again. Well, now I’m bringing you a handy variation on your go-to banana bread recipe with this Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread.
This recipe is deceivingly easy to put together and makes for a delectable change of pace from your standard banana bread. This Chocolate Banana Bread is moist and well-balanced between the chocolate and the sweetness of the overripe bananas. You’re gonna love it!
Please note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made by clicking the links in my post.
Chocolate + Banana = a Match Made in Heaven
To be honest, I’m not the biggest fan of fruit plus chocolate together. I know, I know! I should really give it another try, but believe you me, I have and I don’t know why, but it’s just not my thing. (Hope you still like me despite this obvious flaw in my tastebud preferences!)
Chocolate and banana, on the other hand, is clearly an exception. This pairing is one of those quintessential flavor combos that just makes everyone smile. So, in trying to redeem myself with you all, I will now share a delicious and super easy to bake recipe that highlights these flavors so well.
How to Make Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread
Putting this chocolate banana bread recipe together is a lot easier than it may look! It starts with making my easy Banana Bread batter. After the batter is all mixed, divide it in half by scooping half the batter into a clean bowl, leaving the remaining half in the mixing bowl.
Next, add 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder to one of the batters. Fold in using a spatula or wooden spoon until well combined and no dry spots appear.
Scoop out about 1/4 cup of the plain banana bread batter and place in the bottom of the prepared loaf pan. Then scoop the same amount of the chocolate batter and place next to the plain batter dollop. Continue alternating the dollops of batter, layering them on top of one another until you have used up all the batter.
Using a butter knife, swirl the batters together gently. Sprinkle the top with chocolate chips then bake .
Tips for Making Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread
- To mash the bananas, simply place the peeled bananas in a bowl and mash with a fork. No fancy potato masher or other equipment needed. I like to leave some pieces of banana in there – feel free to mash to whatever consistency suits you best! I typically need about 3 to 4 medium to large bananas for the amount specified in the recipe
- I use an 8×4 loaf pan, whereas I’ve seen many other recipes call for 9×5. This isn’t the hugest of deals, but my personal preference is to have a taller loaf of banana bread rather than a shorter, denser loaf. Feel free to use whichever size you have on hand
- When swirling the chocolate and plain banana bread batters together, resist temptation to keep swirling. Swirl only once through top to bottom of the pan. If you swirl too much the batters will blend together and you’ll lose the marbling effect
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Looking for more bread recipes? Give these a try:Print
Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread
This recipe is deceivingly easy to put together and makes for a delectable change of pace from your standard banana bread. This Chocolate Banana Bread is moist and well-balanced between the chocolate and the sweetness of the overripe bananas.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour + 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Category: Banana Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups mashed overripe banana (about 3–4 medium to large bananas)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup full-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease a 8×4 loaf pan with butter or line with parchment paper and set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until well blended and smooth. Stop the mixer, add in the mashed bananas and stir until well combined
- With the mixer off, add to the bowl the flour, baking soda and salt, mixing until just combined. Add in the sour cream and blend well
- Pour half the batter into a clean bowl and add to it the cocoa powder. Stir until well combined and no dry spots appear
- With a large ice cream scoop or a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop out and dollop into the corner of the prepared pan the plain batter. Repeat for the chocolate batter, placing the dollop next to the first. Repeat this pattern, adding alternating dollops of plain then chocolate batter to the loaf pan, layering them on top of each other, until there’s no batter remaining. I typically get 3 layers of 6 alternating dollops like those pictured. Using a butter knife, gently swirl the top of the batter. Refrain from swirling too much otherwise the batters will get mixed together and muddled, losing the marbled effect. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before removing from the loaf pan and slicing
- Once completely cool, wrap the loaf tightly with plastic wrap and store at room temperature up to 4 days
- If you have leftovers, store them tightly wrapped in plastic wrap in the freezer for up to 3 months
Keywords: chocolate banana bread, marbled chocolate banana bread, chocolate chip banana bread, banana bread with chocolate chips, chocolate chip banana bread recipe, chocolate chip bread, choc chip banana bread, banana and chocolate loaf, chocolate banana bread recipe, double chocolate banana bread, banana and chocolate chip loaf, best chocolate chip banana bread recipe, banana and chocolate bread, banana bread recipe with chocolate chips, easy chocolate chip banana bread
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER! PIN THE IMAGE BELOW TO PINTEREST
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.