Banana Bread is a staple in the kitchens of many home bakers. This recipe for Cream Cheese filled Banana Bread takes this tried and true recipe to a whole other level.
With a thick sweet cream cheese filling swirled throughout the bread and a crunchy sugar crust, this delicious and satisfying take on banana bread will leave your friends and family begging for more! So get cracking on this cream cheese filled banana bread.
Disclosure: I have included links to some great products and services that I think you’ll love. I use them myself and only recommend them because I love them. If you purchase via the links I may earn a small commission. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why stuffing your banana bread with cream cheese is a great idea
Practically everyone I know has a banana bread recipe in their recipe box. Whether they are home bakers or not, I guarantee they have their grandmother's or aunt's or best friend's recipe that is time honored and the best banana bread there ever was. I mean, my moist banana bread with chocolate and ginger is worth raving about (you should go check it out!).
And these recipes are all amazing!
This recipe, though, takes the very best of what makes banana bread so great and adds to it to make a fun twist on the classic.
This is simply my Banana Bread recipe with an added layer of sweetened cream cheese swirled in the center. Oh, and topped with a sprinkling of sugar that forms a crunchy crust when baked. It is oh-so-tasty, friend!
The Cheesecake Filling
To make this recipe, start by preparing a simple cream cheese filling using brick-style cream cheese, a bit of sugar, an egg to bind it together almost like cheesecake, and a touch of sour cream. Set that aside while preparing the banana bread batter.
Once both the batter and the filling are prepared, set aside 1 ½ cups of the banana bread batter and spoon the remainder into a loaf pan.
Next, layer the cream cheese filling on top. Carefully spoon the remaining batter over top the cream cheese layer in a straight line down the center of the loaf pan. Doing so helps create the beautiful swoosh of cheesecake filling when it's baked.
Using a toothpick or butter knife, gently swirl the layers together.
How to Achieve that Crunchy Sugar Crust
This is one of my favorite parts! Sprinkle granulated sugar over top the swirls you just created. Once baked, the sugar creates a crunchy layer on top that's purely delightful!
It's unexpected and adds a fun layer of texture to this banana bread recipe.
I tried adding cinnamon to create a crunchy cinnamon sugar topping, however, I felt the cinnamon flavor overpowered the cream cheese filling. Feel free to add it back in if you desire!
If your bananas aren't ripe, you don't have to put off filling that craving! I have a simple method - bake your bananas in the oven and fast forward the ripening process so you can get to baking.
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Looking for more banana recipes? Give these a try:
FOR ALL MY FAVORITE BAKING TOOLS INCLUDING THOSE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT MY BAKING RESOURCES PAGE!
Cream Cheese Filling
- 12 ounces cream cheese 1 ½ packages of 8 ounce brick style, room temperature
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- ¼ cup full-fat sour cream room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups mashed overripe banana about 2-3 medium-large bananas
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray then line with parchment paper and set aside.
Make the Cream Cheese Filling
- In a medium bowl with a hand mixer, cream together cream cheese, sugar, egg, and sour cream on medium speed until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until well blended and smooth. Stir in the bananas. Add to the bowl the flour, baking soda and salt, mixing until just combined. Add in the sour cream and blend well.
Make the Banana Bread Batter:
- Set aside 1 ½ cups of the banana bread batter. Spread the remaining batter in the bottom of the prepared loaf pan. Spoon the cream cheese mixture over the batter. Next, carefully spoon the reserved banana bread batter in a line down the center of the pan over the cheesecake filling. Using the tip of a butter knife, swirl through the batter a few times. Sprinkle the top with sugar.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER! PIN THE IMAGE BELOW TO PINTEREST
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.