Calling all coffee lovers! This recipe has your name all over it, friends.
These Espresso Chocolate Chunk Cookies have layers upon layers of coffee and dark chocolate flavor packed in them with a hefty sprinkling of flaky espresso salt to top them off. Cookies like these are not to be missed. Share them with all your coffee-loving friends.
Please note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made by clicking the links in my post.
Coffee and Dark Chocolate are an ideal pairing
The flavors of coffee and dark chocolate pair together so very well. So why not incorporate them both into an indulgent cookie recipe?!
These espresso chocolate chunk cookies utilize coffee in many different ways to maximize the coffee flavor. There’s no mistaking the flavor profile of these cookies when you take a bite, that’s for sure!
I recommend, as always, using the highest quality ingredients you can afford to make the flavors of the espresso and dark chocolate really stand out in this recipe. Use high quality coffee or espresso beans and high quality dark chocolate bars to achieve those big pools of melted chocolate you see in the photos here.
(As always, I may receive a small commission if you decide to buy any of the products I recommend. Keep in mind I only recommend products I use myself and that come from brands I trust.)
How to Build Layers of Coffee Flavor
To achieve the most coffee flavor in these Espresso Chocolate Chunk Cookies, the recipe calls for using coffee in four different ways. The first is to infuse the butter with coffee or espresso flavor. To do so, melt the butter and throw in 1/2 a cup of whole coffee or espresso beans. Allow that to steep for 30-60 minutes.
Next, you’ll add in both brewed espresso or coffee and instant espresso powder. I recommend brewing the coffee or espresso so that it’s very strong. You won’t be drinking this straight, so amp up the amount of coffee or espresso grounds used to brew the coffee and you’ll be happy you did.
Lastly, just before baking, sprinkle a hefty dose of espresso salt on top. Espresso salt is simply equal parts espresso powder mixed with flaky sea salt. I was inspired by one of my go-to recipe bloggers, Tieghan from halfbakedharvest.com, for this little trick. I am so happy with how the espresso salt helps maximize the flavors in the finished cookie here. I may just be using this in more recipes in the future – stay tuned!
Tips for Making Espresso Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- To achieve the most espresso/coffee flavor as possible in these cookies, don’t skip the step where the butter gets infused with coffee beans. Allowing the melted butter to steep with coffee beans allows for an additional layer of coffee/espresso flavor to be built into these cookies. The butter will smell amazing and that flavor will translate really nicely to the baked cookie. I would also recommend using the highest quality coffee or espresso beans you can afford for this. You will be discarding them after infusing them into the butter, so keep that in mind when purchasing or using up your coffee beans for these Espresso Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- If you prefer a milder tasting espresso chocolate chunk cookie, trying using a lighter roast coffee bean for infusing the butter as well as a lighter roast for the instant coffee powder and brewed coffee that’s called for in the recipe. You can also try infusing the butter for a shorter period of time or skipping this step altogether. In this case, melt the butter then place in the fridge to solidify for about 30 minutes before using in the recipe
- To achieve those large melty pools of chocolate you see in my photos, chop large chunks of chocolate baking bars instead of using packaged chocolate chunks. This will allow you to keep some pieces large to place on top of the espresso chocolate chunk cookies just prior to baking. When these melt in the oven you’ll get those huge pools of melty dark chocolate
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Looking for more Chocolate Chip cookie recipes? Give these a try:
- Milk Chocolate Toffee Cookies
- My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Jacques Torres Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.