Just the idea of a cake that's centered around the main ingredients of butter and rum sends me swooning. I mean, these are two fantastic ingredients, am I right? This Butter Cake with Rum Glaze tastes like buttery rich heaven with a kick of something special. The perfect marriage of flavors, if you ask me!
Butter, oh how we love you
If you've never had a butter cake before, you're in for a treat. The two sticks of butter gives this cake a richness and flavor that can't be beat. The texture of this cake is also to die for. The best way to describe it is that it's sorta like a vanilla pound cake. Dense and oh-so-buttery with a hint of vanilla. But then, there's that rum glaze that takes it over the top.
Most butter cake recipes are accompanied by a butter sauce. This one is, too, however, I kicked it up a couple of notches by adding in some rum instead of the usual water. The trick to this butter cake is to poke holes all over the exterior then pour that rum glaze over top. And, once the rum soaks in to the cake, you do it again! And again after that! After the rum saturates the cake, a beautiful glazy crust forms on the outside of the cake. This adds a wonderful textural element to the outside of the cake, while the rich, buttery interior has now been soaked with rum. Not sure it gets better than that, my friends!
Tips for Making This Recipe
- Be sure to generously butter and flour your pan before pouring in the cake batter. This will help ensure the cake comes out of that pan in one piece without any sticking. I like to take a pat of room temperature butter, place a folded piece of paper towel over one side and smear the butter all over every nook and cranny of the pan. Be generous here. You don't want gobs of butter all over your pan, but you do want an even layer of butter over every inch of that pan. Then, take a tablespoon of flour and sprinkle it around the pan. Tilt the pan to a 45 degree angle over the sink and gently tap the sides of the pan with one hand while rotating the pan around with your other hand. This will ensure the flour covers all the butter. Tip the pan upside down over the sink to tap out any excess flour
- Bake this cake on the middle rack in your oven. You may want to rotate the pan halfway through the baking time to ensure the cake bakes evenly, especially if your oven has hot spots or does not bake consistently
- When you are ready to pour the rum glaze over the cake, be sure to poke many holes in the cake using a toothpick. Don't be afraid of ruining the cake or of poking too many holes. The idea is to allow as much of that rum glaze to soak into the cake as possible. For the final step, again poke holes into the sides of the cake (including the hole in the middle) and use a pastry brush to brush on the remaining glaze
16 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories416
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 11.5g 58%
- Cholesterol 93.8mg 32%
- Sodium 140.2mg 6%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 0.6g 3%
- Sugars 38.5g
- Protein 4.7g 10%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.