Churros are a wonderful invention. Fried dough covered in cinnamon sugar that’s crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. No utensils needed either. It’s a favorite Mexican dessert reminiscent of Cinco de Mayo and good ol’ American Summer Fairs! Making homemade churros can be a bit intimidating, as there's frying involved. A much simpler idea is to transform that flavor profile into cupcake form with this Caramel-filled Churro Cupcakes recipe.
These are moist cupcakes filled with caramel. One of the best parts? The top of the cupcakes have a rich cinnamon cream cheese frosting. These are next level!
Disclosure: I have included links to some great products and services that I think you’ll love. I use them myself and only recommend them because I love them. If you purchase via the links I may earn a small commission.
What Makes These Caramel-filled Churro Cupcakes so Delightful?
If you don’t already know, I am a huge fan of caramel. And cupcakes. So, turning churros into cupcakes stuffed with caramel seemed only logical. I had to bake these a couple of times to get them exactly right.
The first time the frosting was way too loose and didn’t pipe well. I nailed it the second time and these have become an absolute favorite! I decided to make a cinnamon cream cheese version that holds up well when piped and complements the cinnamon cake and caramel filling perfectly.
Why Stuff Your Churro Cupcakes with Caramel
Why not, is the question! This is the fun part of making a delicious dessert. I started filling and stuffing my cupcakes just recently and have yet to turn back.
I find it adds a sweet surprise to the cupcake and captures a complementary texture. This provides for more interesting flavor combos as well as very happy cupcake eaters! Filling your cupcakes is super easy, too. See below in my tips section for a how-to.
Ingredients Needed to Make Churro Cupcakes:
For the Caramel Filling:
For the Cupcakes:
- Unsalted Butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Whole Milk
For the Cinnamon Frosting recipe:
Tools You'll Need to Make this recipe:
- Medium bowl
- Electric mixer
- Paddle attachment
- Bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl
- Cupcake tin or muffin pan
- Cupcake liners
- Pastry bag, piping bag or ziplock bag with the corner snipped off
- Cupcake Corer, sharp knife, or spoon to dig out the center of each cupcake
Tips for Making This Recipe
- I highly recommend preparing the caramel filling first in this recipe. This is the reason I listed it first in the recipe instructions! The caramel needs time to cool and set up before stuffing into your cupcakes. Otherwise the caramel will be way too loose and will absorb into your cupcakes instead of filling them. If the caramel is still a bit too loose when it comes time to fill the cupcakes, stick it in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to solidify it a bit more, then carefully spoon it into your cupcakes until the caramel reaches the top but doesn’t overflow
- To fill your cupcakes, you can use a fancy schmancy cupcake corer, an apple corer that you probably have in the back of your kitchen drawer somewhere, or a regular ol’ knife. I use an apple corer. Wait patiently until your cupcakes have cooled. Then take your corer and push it straight down into the center of the cupcake to create a tunnel. If you are using a knife, carefully cut a small ½ inch circular tunnel down to the bottom or near bottom of your cupcake. I like to keep these little pieces of cupcake to nibble on while I’m frosting the cupcakes, but feel free to toss them or give your dog a little treat!
- When making the frosting, refrain from adding the milk until you have thoroughly mixed all ingredients. You want to be able to test the consistency of the frosting before adding the milk. Once you add it and if becomes too loose, it’s difficult to get it back to where it needs to be. So, my recommendation is to first see how thick the frosting is then add in half of the milk at first, then add in a bit more if needed. I like mine on the thicker side as it holds up better for piping onto the top of each cupcake
If you are looking for more great recipes like this one, try: Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache Filling and Oreo Buttercream, Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting and Ooey Gooey S'mores Cupcakes.
Like this Caramel-filled Churro Cupcakes recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
FOR ALL MY FAVORITE BAKING TOOLS INCLUDING THOSE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT MY BAKING RESOURCES PAGE!
18 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories410
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 11.3g 57%
- Cholesterol 80.1mg 27%
- Sodium 514.8mg 22%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.7g 7%
- Sugars 42.8g
- Protein 4.1g 9%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER! PIN THE IMAGE BELOW TO PINTEREST
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.