There's nothing quite like the rich creaminess of Homemade Vanilla Whipped Cream to top off dessert!
My kids are huge fans of topping any dessert and, of course, hot cocoa with this stuff. There's certainly no going back to the canned whipped cream after making this version!
Memories of Homemade Whipped Cream
When I was growing up, we used to go to my parents' friend's house every Thanksgiving. And, I used to look forward to it so much.
Not for the turkey or the stuffing or the sides. For the homemade whipped cream! This friend of my parents used to make her own and it was the best thing I had ever tasted!
It was so light and fluffy and she served a huge bowl of it every year right next to the smorgasbord of Thanksgiving pies and desserts. I never knew one could make their own whipped cream! And now I make it every chance I get. Everything's better with whipped cream - like this Bread Pudding with Condensed Milk.
Easy Peasy to Whip up your Own Whipped Cream
Making your own whipped cream couldn't be easier. It takes less than 20 minutes in total and can be prepared as you're serving dessert.
In fact, it's best prepared just as you're serving dessert. Your guests will impressed, that's for sure! But don't do it just for that reason (although it's always nice to be appreciated!). Make your own whipped cream because it:
- is so darn easy
- tastes way better than the oil-based cream in a can
- contains fresh ingredients you can pronounce
- can be adjusted to your tastes in terms of sweetness and vanilla flavor
I like to make whipped cream when I'm serving ice cream or cake for dessert. It makes for a great topping, especially when it's drizzled in chocolate syrup and topped with loads of sprinkles. Wait, now I sound just like my kids!
I also like to serve it with a bowl of fresh fruit like berries or fruit salad. For something fun, try sandwiching it between a freshly made sweet biscuit, like my Two-Ingredient Biscuits, and topping it with strawberries. Makes for a quick and delicious version of strawberry shortcake!
Tips for Making this Recipe
- Be sure to chill your bowl and whisk attachment before beginning this recipe. Also be sure you use cold cream, straight from the fridge. The coldness helps the whipped cream to come together much faster, allows for maximum yield in terms of volume, and ensures a smooth, pleasant texture in your finished product. No grainy, limp whipped cream here!
- This Whipped Cream recipe is best made just before serving. If you need to prepare it ahead of time, prepare it the same day and whip it again for a minute or two before serving to allow air bubbles to be added back in
- Use the freshest cream you can. Ideally, buy fresh cream the same day you're going to whip it. This will make for the very best whipped cream
- 1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Chill the bowl of a stand mixer (or any non-reactive bowl) and the whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the cream and vanilla into the chilled bowl and whisk on high for a few minutes until loose peaks can be formed with the cream. Pro Tip: Lift the whisk slowly out of the cream and look at the shape of the peak at the end of it. You should see a lazy curve that gently falls to the side. Sift the powdered sugar into the cream and continue to whisk on high until the whipped cream holds a stiff peak Pro Tip: The peak of the whipped cream should remain in place when you lift the whisk out of it. Be careful not to over-whisk the whipped cream or it will curdle and begin to turn into butter.
- Serve right away or cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 4 hours. You may want to whisk the whipped cream again briefly before serving, as it may separate and become limp in the fridge.
- Whipped cream is best when it's eaten right away after preparing
- You can make it ahead, cover it tightly and store it in the fridge for a few hours. Whisk it again before serving, as it tends to separate a little and become limp in the fridge
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for more ideas like this one! And be sure to Pin this recipe for later.
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.
My favorite whipped cream recipe!
Awesome! So easy and delicious - really happy you love it.