This almond layer cake with cherry whipped cream is light and flavorful and perfect for the warmer weather months! It’s filled and topped with a simply delightful cherry whipped cream, what could be better?
This cake will become a staple in your repertoire for special occasions, for Mother’s Day, for Father’s Day or for enjoying with friends and family during your summer bbqs.
Disclosure: I have included links to some great products and services that I think you’ll love. I use them myself and only recommend them because I love them. If you purchase via the links I may earn a small commission. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The beauty of a simple layer cake
There's nothing quite like baking from scratch and serving up a beautiful dessert that looks like it took a lot of effort. But, the secret is, it came together very easily!
This Almond Layer Cake with Cherry Whipped Cream recipe requires no mixer to make the cake batter. Instead, it replies upon a food processor to properly mix the ingredients so that they fully combine and emulsify.
Emulsify is a fancy word for fully combining two or more ingredients that don't typically combine well together. For example, oil and water.
In this case, emulsification is necessary for the eggs (6 of them!) and butter to incorporate fully into the batter without them curdling said batter.
The food processor helps bring all the ingredients together with that fast-moving blade.
The recipe walks you through the steps to follow to allow for the batter to come together, giving you a perfectly delicious almond layer cake.
Topping it off
For this cake, I wanted to give you a filling and frosting that kept the cake light and also complemented the almond flavor of the cake.
Almond and cherries pair so well together. And so this delightful cherry whipped cream was born!
This recipe takes the juice that comes in a bottle of maraschino cherries and adds it to a not overly sweet homemade whipped cream recipe. The result is a light and flavorful topping that pairs oh-so-well with this almond cake!
Ingredients Needed to Make this recipe
To make this almond layer cake, you'll need the following ingredients:
- Cake flour: using cake flour keeps this cake super light. If you don't have cake flour, you can substitute for all-purpose flour. The cake will be a bit denser with all-purpose flour. Be sure to fluff up your flour before measuring it using the scoop and level technique. To make your own cake flour, measure out two and a half cups all-purpose flour, remove 5 tablespoons and replace with 5 tablespoons cornstarch. Whisk together
- Baking powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Eggs: for this recipe, you need lots of 'em! 6 large eggs to be exact! Believe me, this cake is well worth the half dozen eggs. Be sure to leave them out of the fridge for at least 30 minutes prior to using. This will allow them to incorporate better into the batter
- Vanilla extract: choose the pure variety rather than imitation vanilla. It's a bit more expensive, however, it will make your cake taste much better and less artificial
- Almond extract: same as above. A little goes a long way with almond extract, so one bottle will last you quite a while. Best to invest in a pure extract versus an imitation flavoring
- Unsalted Butter: no need to bring it to room temperature, as you'll be melting it
To make the cherry whipped cream, you'll need the following ingredients:
- Heavy cream or whipping cream: do not substitute with light cream, half and half or milk, as these will not whip up the same way heavy or whipping cream will
- Maraschino cherry juice: buy yourself a jar of maraschino cherries and strain out 3 ounces of the liquid for this ingredient. Save the cherries for topping / garnishing the baked cake
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered Sugar
Like this Almond Layer Cake with Cherry Whipped Cream recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Looking for more cake recipes like this one? Give these a try:
FOR ALL MY FAVORITE BAKING TOOLS INCLUDING THOSE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT MY BAKING RESOURCES PAGE!
14 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories481
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 16.9g 85%
- Cholesterol 151.1mg 51%
- Sodium 205.8mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 0.4g 2%
- Sugars 38.4g
- Protein 4.9g 10%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER! PIN THE IMAGE BELOW TO PINTEREST
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.