Having a recipe like these Sugar Cookie Bars that’s super simple to put together, uses typical pantry staple ingredients, and bakes up quickly and perfectly every time is my kinda recipe!
These sugar cookie bars are chewy with a slightly crisp top and a super soft, tender interior. Colorful sprinkles add the finishing touch to these easy beauties, if you choose to add em in!
Please note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made by clicking the links in my post.
What helps make these the Perfect Sugar Cookie Bars?
When I was creating this recipe I was going for the following:
- use only (or mainly) pantry staples
- super tasty
- chewy and not cakey
With a couple of batches of practice, I finally nailed it with this recipe. I found this recipe to have the ideal ratio of granulated sugar to butter to flour to create that slightly crisp top with that perfectly chewy inside.
Omitting leavener such as baking soda or baking powder helps to contribute to the texture of these cookie bars. Adding them in would create more cakey sugar cookie bars, which was not on the list of criteria.
Frosted or Unfrosted?
I choose not to frost these sugar cookie bars, but instead add sprinkles to the batter. I find that these are sweet but not overly sweet. And, in keeping with bullet point number one in my list above, I wanted to keep these super easy.
You can, of course, frost these if you’d like. Or, switch out the sprinkles for other types of mix-ins, such as nuts, chocolate, or candy. You can also try omitting the sprinkles or mix-ins altogether and go the purist route. The world is your oyster, I’m just hear to provide you the recipes!
Tips for Making Sugar Cookie Bars
- The best part about these sugar cookie bars is their texture. To maintain that chewy texture and just a hint of crispness on top, I recommend baking these just until they look baked and no more. This means, the edges are just starting to turn golden brown and the center no longer looks wet. Remove them from the oven and allow to cool in the pan, so they continue baking for another couple of minutes
- If you do, however, want cakey sugar cookie bars, I suggest baking these for an additional 5 minutes longer to achieve that texture
- Let these sugar cookie bars be your canvas for creating fun mix-in combos! Feel free to leave out the sprinkles if you’re a purist or add in other mix-ins in equal amounts, such as nuts, chocolate, leftover Halloween or Easter candy. Have fun with them!
Useful Kitchen Tools for Making Sugar Cookie Bars
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Looking for more cookie bar recipes? Give these a try:
- Chocolate Chip Blondies
- Brown Butter Blondies with Salted Caramel Buttercream
- Biscoff Blondies
- Sweet & Salty Brown Butter Blondies
Sugar Cookie Bars
These sugar cookie bars are perfectly chewy with a slightly crisp top and a super soft, tender interior.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 16 squares 1x
- Category: Sugar Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (177ºC). Line an 8×8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving some parchment hanging over the edge to allow you to easily lift out the baked cookie bars. Set aside
- Prepare Sugar Cookie Dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Stop the mixer, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then add in egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute until well combined. With mixer off, add in salt and flour. Mix on low just until no dry spots of flour appear. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold in sprinkles, if using, making as few turns of the spatula as possible. Scrape batter into prepared baking pan, making sure batter is evenly spread out and smooth the top with a spatula, sprinkling a few extra sprinkles on top for added color, if using
- Bake: Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or just until edges are turning golden brown and middle no longer looks raw. Do not overbake
- Cool: Allow to cool in pan for 15-20 minutes then remove by lifting the parchment paper overhang and cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into 16 squares
- Cooled sugar cookie bars can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days
- To freeze, place in a single layer on a parchment-lined or wax paper-lined baking sheet and place in freezer for at least an hour. Place frozen cookie bars in a freezer-safe ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.Defrost at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or place on a microwave-safe dish and heat at 50% power for 1 minute or until desired temperature is reached
- Sprinkle are optional and can be substituted for any other mix-in you desire in equal amounts. Try using white chocolate chips, crushed cookies or leftover Halloween/Easter/Birthday candy
Keywords: sugar cookie bars, sugar cookies, easy sugar cookie recipe, chewy sugar cookies, chewy sugar cookie bars, sugar cookie bars with sprinkles, sugar cookie bars with funfetti, sprinkle sugar cookie bars, easy sugar cookie bars, best sugar cookie bars, best sugar cookie recipes, soft and chewy sugar cookie recipe
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.