Here's your new go-to dessert recipe. Easy Chocolate Chip Blondies that you can throw together in a snap, bake off and serve in just about 30ish minutes start to finish.
Best part? These Chocolate Chip Blondies are ooey, gooey, packed full of chocolate and are soon to become a family favorite in your house and the most requested among your friends.
Please note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made by clicking the links in my post.
What are Chocolate Chip Blondies?
Sure, you could take your tried and true Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe (here’s my best one, if that’s what you’re looking for!) and spread the batter in a pan rather than scoop into individual cookies.
However, this usually doesn’t turn out so well in that the cookie bars are dry and tough.
Chocolate chip cookie recipes are created with the intent to bake cookies individually.
And without the browning that occurs from baking them individually, you end up with dry and tough cookie bars.
So what makes these chocolate chip blondies special, you ask? Lemme tell ya.
Adding leavener would make these more cakey and we are going for the opposite of that. Chewy blondies all the way.
This recipe starts with brown butter.
Now, the brown butter is optional (you could just melt the butter instead), BUT the brown butter brings a delicious nuttiness to the chocolate chip blondies that is really something special. (see more on the brown butter below)
So, to be straight with you, these chocolate chip blondies are nothing short of buttery, dense in the best way possible, gooey deliciousness you need to bake ASAP.
Brown Butter vs. Melted Butter
Butter is essential. It makes everything in our lives taste so much better.
But when you melt it and brown it, these chocolate chip blondies get taken to a whole other level.
Like, I wanna eat the entire bowl of batter now cuz the it’s just so damn good level. But, I won’t do that (well, maybe just a little…).
That’s cuz the browned butter, for one, gives the blondies a chewier texture which is what moves them out of the ordinary and into the extraordinary category.
And, brown butter makes the flavor of these blondies slightly nuttier tasting and full of butterscotchy goodness.
A flavor that goes oh-so-well in this recipe.
Browning the butter takes just a few minutes and is worth its weight in gold, if you ask me.
The brown butter adds an extra layer of nutty flavor that you wouldn’t otherwise achieve with plain melted butter.
To brown butter, place the butter (it can be cold from the fridge) in a saucepan over medium-low heat and swirl the butter around in the pan every minute or so.
Keep a careful eye on it, as the butter can go from melted to burned, passing right over that perfect browned phase quickly if you’re not paying attention.
You’ll start to see brown flecks in the butter and smell a nutty aroma. That’s how you know it’s done!
Tips for Making Chocolate Chip Blondies
- Browning the butter for this chocolate chip blondie recipe is completely optional. But, it doesn't take long (see above for a how-to) and is well worthwhile for adding an extra layer of flavor to this recipe
- I recommend baking these just until they seem barely baked in the middle. This will result in that ooey gooey center we're going for. Allow the blondies to cool in the pan for a bit which will continue the baking for a few more minutes in the hot pan. Overbaking these chocolate chip blondies will result in a more cakey texture. If that's what you're going for, then keep them in the oven up to 5 minutes longer than the recipe calls for
- As difficult as it may sound, allow these to cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting into them. This time will allow the blondies to continue baking a bit and set up or firm up just slightly enough for them to hold together well when you slice them up
Useful Kitchen Tools for Making Blondies
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Looking for more chocolate chip recipes? Give these a try:
- My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Salted Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Jacques Torres Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
16 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories207
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 6.2g 31%
- Cholesterol 26.9mg 9%
- Sodium 78.1mg 4%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.3g 6%
- Sugars 20.1g
- Protein 2.5g 5%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.