Are you an ice cream lover? Making ice cream at home could not be simpler than this Homemade Ice Cream with Condensed Milk recipe. Made from just a few simple ingredients, this eggless vanilla ice cream recipe also requires no ice cream maker.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
🍨 Why you'll love this recipe
Homemade vanilla ice cream is a dream come true. Here are a few reasons why you'll love this recipe:
- Contains no raw eggs like some ice cream recipes. No need to cook an egg custard using egg yolks either
- The ice cream base is made from just four ingredients and does not require an ice cream machine. Put that Cuisinart ice cream maker back in the pantry for another day!
- This recipe makes for a super creamy, delicious ice cream perfect on a hot summer day
🧾Ingredients & Substitutions
To make this creamy vanilla ice cream, you'll need the following ingredients:
- Sweetened condensed milk: For best results, my recommendation would be to stick to the ingredients and recipe as written. However, if you want to try making this eggless ice cream into a creamy vegan ice cream or dairy-free ice cream, you can substitute the condensed milk for coconut cream. I would not recommend substituting the condensed milk for non dairy milk such as almond milk, cashew milk, soy milk or even full fat coconut milk, as they will not work in this homemade ice cream recipe to achieve the creamy texture we're after
- Pure vanilla extract: as with all of my recipes that require vanilla, I recommend buying the highest quality you can afford. I would not recommend substituting imitation vanilla extract for pure vanilla extract, as the flavor can taste artificial, especially in a recipe with so few ingredients that's not cooked
- Fine salt: be sure to use fine salt. Because this recipe is not cooked, coarse salt will not dissolve and disperse as well as fine salt in the final product
- Heavy whipping cream: If you are looking to make this recipe vegan or if you're looking for a dairy-free vanilla ice cream, try substituting the cream for full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream. The ice cream base may have a coconut flavor if you do so
✨ How to make Sweetened Condensed Milk Ice Cream
This amazing ice cream is like magic! Let's dive into how to make it in just a few easy steps:
Step 3: Fold about 1 cup of the whipped cream into the ice cream base using a rubber spatula until combined. Add the remaining whipped cream and fold into the ice cream base until well blended.
Step 4: Pour the ice cream into a 8x4 or 9x5 metal loaf pan, cover and freeze at least 2 hours, ideally 4 hours or more
Now, enjoy your scoop of vanilla ice cream!
👩🍳 Pro tips
- Making this no-churn ice cream requires heavy cream that is cold. Unlike in baking recipes where room temperature ingredients are ideal to allow the ingredients to come together well, using cold cream here is ideal. This will help the ice cream become, well, ice cream and will speed up the freezing process
- For the best homemade ice cream, allow the ice cream to freeze completely before serving. The ice cream will be very soupy when you first make it, like melting soft serve. Ideally, you want to freeze this ice cream for at least 2 hours, preferably 4, before it's scoop-able like churned ice cream
- This wonderful recipe makes for a perfectly creamy ice cream. This creamy ice cream does tend to melt quickly once it's out of the freezer! Much more quickly than churned ice cream. The good news is, you don't have to struggle to scoop this ice cream straight outta the freezer. However, you'll want to stick the container back into the freezer straight away after scooping out your servings so it doesn't turn into a soupy mess, especially on a hot day
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
No churn refers to the fact that this ice cream recipe does not require an ice cream maker to churn the ice cream base into frozen ice cream. Sweetened condensed milk is used in place of granulated sugar in many no-churn ice cream recipes as well. Because the ice cream base is not cooked, the sugar would not have a chance to dissolve. So, sweetened condensed milk is used instead.
This can happen over time when the ice cream is left in the freezer. My recommendation is to consume the ice cream within a month or two of making it to avoid ice crystals from forming on it in the freezer.
Yes! There are lots of ways to make ice cream and ice cream that does not require churning is no less ice cream than the kind made in an ice cream maker.
In the absence of granulated sugar, condensed milk adds the necessary sweetness to ice cream while enhancing its richness.
Yes! The best way to do this is to partially freeze the ice cream for about 1 hour, then fold in about 1 cup of chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, cookie pieces, nuts, or fruit.
FOR ALL MY FAVORITE BAKING TOOLS INCLUDING THOSE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT MY BAKING RESOURCES PAGE!
Did you enjoy a KICKASS BAKER recipe? Please share a comment and leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Rating on this recipe! We appreciate you sharing your feedback!
- 14 ounce sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch fine salt
- 2 cups heavy cream very cold
- In a large bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, vanilla and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, pour in the heavy cream and whip using the whisk attachment on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes.
- Fold about 1 cup of the whipped cream into the ice cream base using a rubber spatula until combined.
- Add the remaining whipped cream and fold into the ice cream base until well blended.
- Pour the ice cream into a 8x4 or 9x5 metal loaf pan, cover and freeze at least 2 hours, ideally 4 hours or more
- Store ice cream in the freezer in a tightly sealed container for up to 3 months