Looking for a decadent chocolate dessert recipe that's super easy and made from simple ingredients? Look no further than this 5 ingredient Dark Chocolate Mousse (with cocoa powder).
This chocolate mousse recipe is bursting with dark chocolate flavor and will surely become one of your favorite desserts to make and serve. Perfect for Valentine's Day, a special occasion or any day, this recipe for quick chocolate mousse is definitely a keeper.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my Disclosure Policy.
Easy Chocolate Mousse Recipe
When it comes to mousse recipes, it's all about that smooth, creamy, rich consistency. Many chocolate mousse recipes involve melted chocolate, separating egg yolks from egg whites and folding in cream just like in this Milk Chocolate Mousse recipe.
But when you're looking to get your chocolate fix with a quick and easy recipe that doesn't sacrifice on the flavor or texture of a fluffy mousse, this one is it!
How to make this Chocolate Mousse with Cocoa Powder
To make this delicious chocolate dessert, combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on low speed just until all the ingredients come together. Then, turn to high speed and beat until stiff peaks forms. That's all there is to it!
The cocoa powder creates a rich chocolatey flavor in this dark chocolate mousse without the need for melted chocolate in this simple recipe. As far as chocolate desserts go, this one produces a great end result with very little time and effort.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST FOR LOTS MORE RECIPES JUST LIKE THIS ONE!
Ingredients Needed to Make This Recipe
Five ingredients is all it takes to make this easy recipe suitable for anyone with a sweet tooth. Bonus: this delicious chocolate mousse recipe is eggless, too!
- Heavy Whipping Cream: For best results, be sure to use cold cream. This will allow your mousse to achieve stiff peaks quicker
- Dark Cocoa Powder: Look for a high quality unsweetened cocoa powder to use here. With so few ingredients, you'll taste the difference a good quality cocoa powder makes in the final product
- Powdered Sugar: I highly recommend sifting the powdered sugar to ensure a smooth, rather than lumpy, mousse
- Vanilla Extract: a good quality vanilla goes a long way, even in a chocolate recipe
- Salt: any kind you have handy will work here, except maybe flaky sea salt. I use kosher salt. Adjust the level to your liking
To make this recipe vegan, try substituting the heavy cream for coconut cream (not coconut milk). It helps to chill the coconut cream before whipping it as well.
For another variation of vegan mousse, give this Aquafaba Chocolate Mousse recipe a try!
Once the chocolate mousse has been made, cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until ready to serve. It will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Either a stand mixer or hand mixer will work fine for this recipe. If using a stand mixer, I recommend using the paddle attachment rather than the whisk attachment. The paddle creates a smoother texture than the whisk.
Looking for more chocolate dessert recipes? Try these:
FOR ALL MY FAVORITE BAKING TOOLS INCLUDING THOSE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT MY BAKING RESOURCES PAGE!
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream cold
- ⅔ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder sifted
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- Combine heavy whipping cream, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and salt in the bowl of a bowl fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Beat at low speed for 20-30 seconds until ingredients begin to combine then turn mixer to high speed and beat until stiff peaks form, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stop the mixer to scrape the sides and bottoms then whisk for a few seconds more until all is combined.
- Serve immediately or chill in ramekins covered with plastic wrap until ready to serve. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER! PIN THE IMAGE BELOW TO PINTEREST
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.