Looking to make delicious chocolate donuts at home? This is a favorite recipe for perfect chocolate donuts. Not only are these super quick and easy to make, these Chocolate Mini Donuts are topped with a thick chocolate glaze and colorful sprinkles. Ideal for parties, birthdays or to satisfy your every chocolate craving!
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
💕 Why you'll love this recipe
There are so many reasons!
- these baked donuts are, well, baked not fried
- no mixer required
- no special equipment such as a mini donut maker required; in fact, you don't even need a mini donut pan (see below in 'Pro Tips' section for more info on this!)
- mini chocolate donuts take less than 30 minutes to make, start to finish
🧾 Ingredients & Substitutions
Making this chocolate donut recipe requires only basic ingredients. Here is a list of the ingredients needed, with substitutions noted where applicable:
- Pantry staple dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt
- Espresso powder: this is used as a flavor enhancer for the chocolate. You will not taste it in the baked donuts. Feel free to omit it if you would prefer
- Egg: remove the egg from the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to baking to reach room temperature. This will allow it to incorporate evenly into the donut batter
- Brown sugar: I recommend using dark brown sugar. The extra molasses in dark brown sugar brings a layer of rich, caramely flavor. However, if you do not have dark brown sugar, light brown sugar will work just fine
- Milk: I recommend using whole milk or 2% milk. Non dairy milk may be substituted. Be sure to remove it from the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to baking to allow it to reach room temperature
- Sour cream: use full-fat sour cream to maximize the richness this ingredient brings to the donuts. May be substituted with plain full-fat Greek yogurt. Be sure to remove it from the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to baking to allow it to reach room temperature
- Unsalted butter: Melt the butter and allow to cool slightly before using
- Vanilla extract: Use high quality vanilla - you'll taste the difference this makes in the final product
To make these the best donuts they could possibly be, we dunk the top of each donut in a sweet glaze! The delicious chocolate glaze is optional, but highly recommended. To make it, you'll need the following:
- Milk chocolate chips: I tested this recipe using semi-sweet chocolate and found the glaze too overpowering for the mini donuts. Milk chocolate, on the the hand, provided just the right level of sweetness without being overpowering. Non dairy chocolate can be substituted. Check to make sure it melts well before melting the full amount
- Milk: since the glaze is essentially a chocolate ganache, milk is used to thin out the melted chocolate. Non dairy milk can be substituted
- Sprinkles: these are optional but make this easy recipe into a fun treat!
✨How to make Mini Donuts
Step 4: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix. The batter will be thick.
Step 5: Add the batter to a piping bag or ziploc bag with ½ an inch of one corner cut off. Pipe the batter into the donut cavities, filling each about ½ - ⅔ of the way. Do not overfill.
Step 6: Bake for 7-8 minutes or until the edges are just lightly browned
Step 7: Allow to cool for about two minutes and turn out onto a wire rack set on a large piece of parchment paper or over a baking sheet. Allow donuts to cool down a couple of minutes until you can handle them.
Step 8: Prepare the chocolate glaze for the tops of the donuts: Combine the chocolate chips and milk in a microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup. Heat for 30 seconds on high or until the liquid is steaming and starting to bubble. Stir until the chips have melted and the icing is smooth. Dip the top of the chocolate doughnuts in the icing. Garnish with sprinkles, if desired.
👩🍳 Pro tips for making this recipe
- This recipe can easily be made using a mini muffin pan if you do not own a mini donut pan. Spoon batter into the mini muffin cavities, filling ⅔ of the way and bake 9-10 minutes. Top with the glaze, if desired
- The donut cavities will look like they're not filled enough, however, if you overfill them, the donut holes will be covered when the donuts bake. To attain the perfect donut shape, fill the wells of the donut pan only ½ - ⅔ full
- If you do not have a pastry bag with which to pipe the donut batter, use a ziploc bag with the corner cut off. I do this often and it's a great little trick
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Use a mini muffin tin and spray the wells with nonstick spray. Fill each well ⅔ of the way and bake at 350°F for 9-10 minutes. Top the same way as donuts, if desired
Once donuts have cooled completely, store at room temperature in an air tight container for up to 5 days. Donuts may be frozen without the glaze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature then glaze and serve.
I have not tried making this recipe vegan, however, give this Plant-based Chocolate Doughnut recipe a try!
FOR ALL MY FAVORITE BAKING TOOLS INCLUDING THOSE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT MY BAKING RESOURCES PAGE!
➕More recipes to try
If you're looking for even more donut recipes, check these out!
Did you enjoy a KICKASS BAKER recipe? Please share a comment and leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Rating on this recipe! We appreciate you sharing your feedback!
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon espresso powder optional
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup milk room temperature
- ¼ cup full-fat sour cream or plain full-fat Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Glaze, optional
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons milk
Make the Mini Donuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177ºF). Spray a mini donut pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder, if using. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, milk, and sour cream until smooth.
- Add in the melted butter and vanilla, whisking until fully combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix. The batter will be thick.
- Add the batter to a piping bag or ziploc bag with ½ an inch of one corner cut off. Pipe the batter into the donut cavities, filling each about ½-⅔ of the way. Do not overfill.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until the edges are just lightly browned. (For mini muffins, bake 9-10 minutes)
- Allow to cool for about two minutes and turn out onto a wire rack set on a large piece of parchment paper or over a baking sheet.
- Allow donuts to cool down a couple of minutes until you can handle them.
Chocolate Glaze (Optional)
- Combine the chocolate chips and milk in a microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup. Heat for 30 seconds on high or until the liquid is steaming and starting to bubble.
- Stir until the chips have melted and the icing is smooth.
- Dip the top of each doughnut in the icing. Garnish with sprinkles, if desired.
- Store doughnuts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days; freeze without glaze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature then glaze and serve
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.