There’s just something about a Blueberry Cake Donut that makes me so happy. The purple color, the cakey texture, the vanilla glaze that soaks in every nook and cranny creating the perfect crispy crunch on the exterior. And the flavor!
Blueberry Cake Donuts will fulfill every dream you have of the perfect donut.
Please note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made by clicking the links in my post.
Homemade Baked Blueberry Cake Donuts
My absolute favorite flavor of donut at Dunkin Donuts has got to be the blueberry donut.
I never would have thought that this would turn out to be my fave, but lo and behold, there’s something really special about the flavor that makes it irresistible.
Having the ability to recreate these in a homemade version that’s both easy and baked instead of fried has saved me tons of calories (and money!).
If you haven’t noticed by now, I’m a huge fan of making donuts at home.
And baking blueberry cake donuts at home has once again reinforced my decision that made from scratch donuts is the way to go.
How to Make Blueberry Cake Donuts at home
If you don’t already have at least one donut pan in your kitchen pantry, I highly recommend getting one or two ASAP.
They are inexpensive and there’s nothing quite like a homemade donut that’s in the shape of an actual donut to make the experience of homemade baked donuts complete!
These blueberry cake donuts come together quickly. The recipe uses both all-purpose and cake flour to achieve a tender, cakey interior for this baked donut.
Using one whole egg plus an additional egg yolk helps create structure and richness to the donut. And the buttermilk gives these blueberry donuts a slight tang, moisture, and tenderness.
As you’ll read more about below in the tips section, I recommend using frozen blueberries for this recipe.
Frozen blueberries are definitely more convenient, too, as you can keep them much longer than fresh and you’ll have them on hand for whenever the mood strikes to bake these donuts up.
Glazed Blueberry Donuts
Once the blueberry donuts are completely cooled, dunk them, top and bottom, into that glaze and allow it to soak in before taking your first bite.
The glaze on these donuts provides just the right amount of crisp and crunch to the exterior. This complements the cakey interior so well creating a heavenly donut bite.
Tips for Making Blueberry Cake Donuts
- I highly recommend investing in a donut pan (or two) for this, and other baked donut recipes. They’re inexpensive (less than $15 for two) and make the shape and baking of these donuts come out perfectly! Most are also non-stick which makes removing the donuts (and clean-up!) super easy
- I recommend using frozen blueberries for this recipe rather than fresh. Frozen blueberries, when thawed, will give you all that delicious and beautiful purple-hued juice that, when mixed into the batter, makes these the perfect color and consistency
- To fill the donut cavities, you can use a piping bag or create your own. Start by taking a gallon sized ziptop bag and fill it with the donut batter. Squeeze as much air out of the bag as you can and twist the top to close so the batter doesn’t squeeze out the top while you’re piping. On one bottom corner, snip a small diagonal piece off with a scissor. Squeeze the batter out into each cavity, filling only 2/3 of the way, and smooth the top of the batter with a butter knife or small offset spatula
- Try not to overfill the donut cavities with batter. It may be tempting, however, the donuts will puff up while baking. And, you’ll lose the hole in the middle if you overfill. If this does happen, just take a sharp knife and cut out the middle once the donuts are cooled to get the center hole back. You may also use an apple corer, cupcake corer or a large piping tip to punch the center out. I like to dunk these little scraps in the glaze and pop em in my mouth while topping the donuts (baker’s privilege!)
Useful Kitchen Tools for Making Blueberry Cake Donuts
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Are you a donut lover like me? Check out these donut recipes and give them a try! Or Pin them for later:
- Baked Apple Cider Donuts
- Baked Donuts with Ruby Chocolate Glaze
- Brioche Donuts with Vanilla Cream Filling
- Chocolate Glazed Donuts
Save this recipe for later by pinning to Pinterest!
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.