Dark chocolate and cherries make for an ideal flavor pairing. This simple dark chocolate layered cake takes these complementary flavors and makes them sing by using prepared ingredients in a fun, new way!
Made using Stonewall Kitchen’s Dark Chocolate Torte baking mix plus an easy homemade whipped cream filling flavored with Tillen Farms Bourbon Bada Bing Cherries, you’ll be making this Dark Chocolate Torte with Bourbon Cherry Whipped Cream on repeat for all your upcoming celebrations!
Thank you to Stonewall Kitchen for sponsoring this post! I was compensated for providing this recipe and blog post, however all opinions are my own.
Semi-Homemade Chocolate Layer Cake
Using pre-made baking mixes and ingredients is such a great way to shortcut the baking process without sacrificing any flavor or quality. That being said, using high quality ingredients is essential to making semi-homemade baking work out well!
This may not be a popular opinion, but you can still achieve showstopper quality results with packaged mixes. Yep, I said it!
Now, let me show you how.
Easy Two-Layer Chocolate Torte
This Stonewall Kitchen Dark Chocolate Torte baking mix comes with a package of dry ingredients plus chocolate chips. The recipe on the box calls for using these ingredients plus butter and eggs to make the cake batter.
To make this recipe, start by making the batter for the Dark Chocolate Torte baking mix as directed. But, instead of making one 8-inch layer of this rich, dense chocolate cake as instructed, divide the batter into two 6-inch round cake pans.
Two layers are definitely better than one, am I right?!
Homemade Whipped Cream with a Delicious, Fun Twist
Once the torte layers are baked and cooled, it’s time to fill them with a super easy homemade bourbon cherry whipped cream!
The whipped cream complements the richness of the chocolate layers by providing added lightness and amazing flavor to this decadent cake.
And, yes, this part is mostly homemade, but whipped cream is super simple to make, so bear with me.
Dust very generously with powdered sugar, add some of those bourbon cherries on top for fun and that's it! Your semi-homemade masterpiece is now complete.
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
FOR ALL MY FAVORITE BAKING TOOLS INCLUDING THOSE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT MY BAKING RESOURCES PAGE!
Looking for more cake recipes? Give these a try:
Did you enjoy a KICKASS BAKER recipe? Please share a comment and leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Rating on this recipe! We appreciate you sharing your feedback!
- 1 box Stonewall Kitchen’s Dark Chocolate Torte baking mix
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs room temperature
Bourbon Cherry Whipped Cream Filling
- 2 cups heavy cream or whipping cream
- 3 ounces maraschino cherry juice such as Stonewall Kitchen Bourbon Bada Bing Cherry
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- powdered sugar for dusting
- maraschino cherries such as Stonewall Kitchen Bourbon Bada Bing Cherries, for topping
Make Chocolate Torte
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177ºC). Butter the bottom and sides of two 6-inch round cake pans. Line the bottom of each pan with a parchment round and butter the parchment paper. Set aside.
- Pour the chocolate chips (from the baking mix) into a microwave-safe bowl and add butter. Heat chocolate and butter in microwave, stopping to stir every 30 seconds until chips are melted and mixture is smooth and glossy. Pour dry torte mix into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With mixer running on low, slowly add the melted chocolate mixture and beat until fully combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Pour equal amounts of batter into each pan, spreading top with a spatula to even out. My batter weighed 640 grams so I placed 320 grams in each pan. You can eyeball the batter instead if you don’t wish to weigh it out. Gently tap the pans on a hard surface to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each torte layer comes out clean. Allow to cool on wire racks for 20 minutes. Run a butter knife around edges and flip out onto wire racks and allow to cool completely.
Make Bourbon Cherry Whipped Cream Filling
- Place the bowl of a stand mixer along with the whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill. Once the bowl and whisk are cold, add to the bowl the heavy cream, cherry juice, and powdered sugar. Begin whisking on low speed until the sugar has been incorporated, about 30-60 seconds then gradually increase speed to high, whisking until stiff peaks form.
- Place one layer of the chocolate torte on a cake stand. Spread with a thick layer of cherry whipped cream. Top with 2nd torte layer and dust top generously with powdered sugar. Top with more cherries for garnish, if desired.
- Store baked and cooled torte layers wrapped tightly in plastic wrap at room temperature up to 3 days.
- Store prepared whipped cream in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Whisk at high speed for 1-2 minutes if needed before serving.
- Store leftover filled torte wrapped tightly in plastic wrap in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- Please note: if you change the serving size on the recipe using the tool above, the gram measurements will not change. You can use an online calculator such as bakingcalculator.com to calculate the metric amounts of each ingredient needed