Here’s a fun take on the classic moon pie for the holidays: two chocolate brownie cookies sandwiched with peppermint-flavored marshmallow crème and rolled in crushed candy canes. What could be better than these Hot Cocoa Peppermint Moon Pies underneath the Christmas tree?
Peppermint and chocolate is such a wonderful flavor combination for the holidays. And this recipe for Hot Cocoa Peppermint Moon Pies takes that classic flavor duo to another level!
Disclosure: I have included links to some great products and services that I think you’ll love. I use them myself and only recommend them because I love them. If you purchase via the links I may earn a small commission. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A fun twist on the classic moon pie (with some creative liberties!)
Typically moon pies are made with two graham crackers sandwiched with marshmallow filling and enrobed in chocolate. For this twist on the classic moon pie recipe, I took some liberties by incorporating the chocolate into the cookies.
These brownie cookies are soft and super chocolatey, like a warm cup of hot cocoa. They hold up really well to the homemade marshmallow filling, too!
Boozy Peppermint Marshmallow Filling
To flavor the marshmallow, both peppermint extract and Peppermint Schnapps are used. I found the schnapps too subtle to use alone in this filling. But, it was necessary to bring that slightly boozy flavor to the marshmallow creme center.
If you’d prefer the filling without the alcohol, simply omit it and double the amount of peppermint extract to 1 teaspoon.
How to assemble these Christmas Moon Pies
Once the hot cocoa brownie cookies have cooled completely, pipe the peppermint filling onto half the cookies. You can do this by adding the peppermint filling to a piping bag or you can simply spoon the filling into the center of the cookies.
Be sure not to pipe or spread the filling all the way to the edge of the cookie. I recommend leaving ½ an inch border so when you sandwich the cookies the filling doesn’t spill out.
Top the cookie with the peppermint filling with another brownie cookie and gently press down.
Finish it off with crushed peppermint
These Hot Cocoa Moon Pies wouldn’t be holiday appropriate without a crushed peppermint candy cane finish.
The best way to accomplish this is to start by unwrapping 4 large candy canes or 8 small candy canes and place them into a large ziplock bag. Press as much air out of the bag as possible and seal the top.
Roll the exposed marshmallow creme of the assembled hot cocoa moon pies in the peppermint. Voila!
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
The assembled hot cocoa moon pies are best served and consumed the same day the are prepared. However, the assembled cookies will certainly keep for a day or two at room temperature.
If you would like to prepare these ahead of time, I’d recommend storing them unassembled, then assembling just prior to serving. Store the cooled cookies at room temperature up to 5 days in a sealed container or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature for at least 30-60 minutes before using.
Store the peppermint marshmallow filling in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Bring to room temperature and give a good stir before using.
Yes! To make a kid-friendly or spirit-less version of this holiday treat, simply omit the Peppermint Schnapps then double the amount of peppermint extract called for in the recipe to 1 teaspoon.
FOR ALL MY FAVORITE BAKING TOOLS INCLUDING THOSE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT MY BAKING RESOURCES PAGE!
Looking for more chocolate peppermint recipes? Give these a try:
- 12 ounces chopped 60% cacao semisweet chocolate baking bars or chocolate chips, about 2 cups
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Peppermint Marshmallow Filling (recipe below)
- ¼ cup crushed candy canes 4 large or 8 small candy canes
Peppermint Marshmallow Filling
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 7 ounces marshmallow fluff
- 1 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons Peppermint Schnapps
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
Make Hot Cocoa Brownie Cookies
- In the top of a double boiler, heat chocolate over simmering water, stirring occasionally, until melted. Let cool slightly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars at medium speed until fluffy and pale yellow, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides and bottom of bowl. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat until well combined, about 1 minute, stopping to scrape sides and bottom of bowl. Add melted chocolate, and beat at low speed until well combined. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl, and beat for 30 seconds.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, and stir gently just until combined. (Do not overmix.) Loosely cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough by 2 tablespoonfuls, and roll into balls. Place at least 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake for 11 to 13 minutes. Let cool completely on pans.
Make Peppermint Marshmallow Filling
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and marshmallow fluff at medium speed until well combined. Add powdered sugar, schnapps, and peppermint extract. Beat at low speed for 30 seconds; gradually increase mixer speed to medium, beating until well combined and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Store in an airtight container until ready to use. (If storing for longer than a few hours, refrigerate in an airtight container, and bring to room temperature before using)
- Place Peppermint Marshmallow Filling in a pastry bag fitted with a large round piping tip. (Alternatively, place Peppermint Marshmallow Filling in a resealable plastic bag, and cut a ½-inch opening in corner of bag or simply use a spoon or offset spatula to spread the filling.) Pipe filling onto flat side of half the cookies. Place remaining cookies, flat side down, on top of filling and press down gently
- Place crushed candy canes on a baking sheet or flat plate. Roll exposed marshmallow fluff filling in crushed candies or sprinkle sides with crushed candies. Serve immediately
- If not serving right away, Store the cooled cookies at room temperature up to 5 days in a sealed container or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature for at least 30-60 minutes before using. Store the peppermint marshmallow filling in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Bring to room temperature and give a good stir before using.
- For best results, assemble cookies just before serving
- To make a kid-friendly or spirit-less version of this holiday treat, simply omit the Peppermint Schnapps then double the amount of peppermint extract called for in the recipe to 1 teaspoon
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER! PIN THE IMAGE BELOW TO PINTEREST
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.