Lemon and blueberry is such a great flavor combo. The brightness of the lemon, the burst of fruitiness from the blueberries, and the slight tang of the Greek yogurt make this loaf cake perfectly balanced.
Pour on a thick layer of that lemon glaze and you’ll be singing this cake’s praises!
Please note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made by clicking the links in my post.
The perfect loaf cake
Loaf cakes are wonderfully easy to make. The batter is straightforward to mix up and they make for great treats to serve guests.
Oftentimes, you can even get away with serving loaf cake for dessert, snack time and even breakfast! Win!
This lemon blueberry yogurt cake is for sure a winner.
Not only does it come together quickly, but the yogurt gives it an almost healthy feel (think I can get away with that?!) while adding richness and a slight tang to the cake.
If you want to get all science-y, the yogurt’s acidity actually helps activate the baking soda in this recipe, making this cake fluffy and light. There you go – there’s your fun fact for the day!
Fresh or frozen blueberries, that is the question
For this recipe, you can use either fresh or frozen blueberries. I used frozen blueberries because I made and posted this recipe in the middle of winter.
You can use fresh if blueberries are in season and you easily find them. If not, buy yourself a bag of frozen blueberries and get baking!
Whether you use fresh or frozen, to avoid the blueberries sinking to the bottom of the cake, coat them in a bit of flour before mixing them into the batter.
The flour coating helps suspend the blueberries in the batter magically (that’s not scientifically speaking, it’s pure magic in my opinion).
Ingredients Needed to Make Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake
To make this delicious lemon blueberry yogurt loaf cake, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Blueberries: fresh, if they’re in season, or frozen if not – see above
- All-purpose flour: most of it will go into the batter itself. One tablespoon is used to coat the blueberries to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of your cake while baking
- Lemon zest: always zest before cutting into your lemons to juice them. It’s just easier. I love this kitchen tool the best for zesting (and I’ve tried a number of them!
- Butter: I prefer unsalted, that way I can adjust the salt level based on my taste preferences. If you only have salted butter, go ahead and use it, but cut in half the amount of salt called for in the recipe. And make sure your butter has been brought to room temperature so that it mixes easily
- Eggs: US size large
- Lemon Juice: it should be freshly squeezed from fresh lemons to achieve the best tasting cake. Zest first, then juice
- Vanilla extract
- Cake flour: Cake flour makes a more tender loaf cake. If you do not have or cannot find cake flour, substitute in equal amounts for all-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
How to Make a Thick Lemon Glaze
This part of the recipe is super simple and pays off big time! There are only two ingredients in this lemon glaze.
- Powdered Sugar: I recommend sifting the powered sugar to remove clumps. That way, your glaze will be silky smooth
- Lemon Juice: freshly squeezed works best here for the best lemon flavor
The juice to sugar ratio is very small here, which helps create an extra thick glaze.
If you prefer your glaze thinner, go ahead and add a tad more lemon juice to loosen and thin it out.
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Looking for more Quick Bread recipes like this one? Give these a try:
Watch how to make this Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Loaf Cake
FOR ALL MY FAVORITE BAKING TOOLS INCLUDING THOSE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT MY BAKING RESOURCES PAGE!Print
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER! PIN THE IMAGE BELOW TO PINTEREST
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.