Life is all about balance, am I right?! I like to bake up a batch of these super easy Paleo-friendly apple muffins then freeze ’em. That way, when I’m wondering what I’ll have for breakfast while the kids are chowing down on their cereal or donuts (don’t judge me), I can grab one of these, toast it up, spread on some ghee, and voila! Breakfast is served.
What Makes these Muffins so Great
These muffins couldn’t be easier to make. And, no mixer required. It takes a couple of bowls, a whisk and a wooden spoon and you’re on your way. For me, these Paleo apple muffins have been a lifesaver. When I used to travel a lot for work, I’d pack a few of these in my carry-on along with a small container of ghee (no refrigeration required – score!). One of these muffins spread with ghee and a side of fruit, if some was available, made for a great start to my day when on those trips. I find it really hard to have willpower not to eat the pancakes or the omelettes cooked in butter and smothered in cheese when at a hotel’s breakfast bar, especially when my colleagues are all chowing down as if it’s their last meal (what’s up with that?!). I always say I’m gonna be good and then poof! Not so good… These muffins are filling and substantial without all the guilt.
Tips for a Nut-free Version
This recipe calls for 2 cups of almond flour. Because I don’t like to cook or bake with nuts because of my daughter’s allergies, I substitute gluten-free oat flour for the almond flour. You may want to use a little bit less oat flour than almond, as the oat flour sucks up more of the moisture from the wet ingredients in this recipe. If you don’t have oat flour, but you have oats, whir the oats in a food processor or blender until they reach the consistency of flour. Easy peasy!
More Paleo Recipes
For more Paleo-friendly breakfast and snack recipes, check out my Paleo Pumpkin Muffins and my Gluten-free/Nut-free Granola. And, don’t forget about this delicious Paleo Peach Jam that goes well on these Paleo muffins or your gluten-free toast!Print
Paleo Apple Muffins
I like to bake up a batch of these super easy Paleo-friendly apple muffins then freeze ’em for quick breakfasts or snacks.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35-40 minutes
- Yield: 9 muffins
- Category: Paleo
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Breakfast, Snack
- 2 cups almond flour (or oat flour for nut-free version)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 large apple, grated and drained (any variety will work here)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee, melted, plus more for greasing muffin tin
- Prepare: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. With melted coconut oil or ghee, grease 9 cups of a muffin tin
- Make muffin batter: In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, whisking to combine. In a separate bowl, toss the grated apple with the lemon juice. To the apple mixture, add the eggs, honey, and coconut oil or ghee and stir to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring until thoroughly combined. Using a large ice cream or cookie scoop, fill muffin cups 3/4 full
- Bake: Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of center muffin comes out clean. Cool on wire rack
I usually wrap the cooled muffins individually in plastic wrap and freeze them. Defrost in the microwave for 60 seconds on 50% power, then toast and spread with ghee. Mmmmmmm……
Recipe originally from Cook Eat Paleo
Keywords: paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, apple, muffins