Sweet or salty? Potato chip or chocolate? Which do you prefer? Wait, don’t answer that question – cuz you can have both! Salty and sweet is a flavor combination made in heaven, I’m convinced of it. Chocolate covered pretzels – mmmmmm…. One of my faves! And, these Sweet and Salty Brown Butter Blondies satisfy allllll the cravings for these two flavors in a new way. And that means no more having to choose between the two!
What makes these Blondies so special?
What doesn’t make these special should be the question! They’re thick and chewy, first of all. Secondly, they have milk chocolate chips AND potato chips in them. What?! Potato chips in a blondie?! It works, my friends, in so many ways. The crunch and saltiness from the chips adds the perfect balance against the sweetness of the milk chocolate chips and brown sugar in this recipe.
Aren’t Blondies Just Cookies Made in a Pan?
Sure, you could take your tried and true Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe (here’s my best one, if that’s what you’re looking for!) and spread the batter in a pan rather than scoop into individual cookies. However, this usually doesn’t turn out so well in that the cookie bars are dry and tough. Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes are created with the intent to bake cookies individually. And without the browning that occurs from baking them individually, you end up with dry and tough cookie bars. And along comes these Sweet & Salty Brown Butter Blondies and all your problems are solved! You’re welcome 🙂
A Little Bit About Brown Butter and Why You Need It
Butter is essential. It makes everything in our lives taste so much better. But when you melt it and brown it, these blondies get taken to a whole other level. Like, I wanna eat the entire bowl of batter now cuz the it’s just so damn good level. But, I won’t do that (well, maybe just a little…), instead I’ll eat more than my fair share of these amazing blondies. That’s cuz the melted butter, for one, gives the blondies a chewier texture which is what moves them out of the ordinary and into the extraordinary category. And, brown butter makes the flavor slightly nuttier tasting and full of butterscotchy goodness. A flavor that goes oh-so-well in this recipe.
For more variations of Blondies, try my Biscoff Blondies and my Brown Butter Blondies with Salted Caramel Buttercream!Print
Sweet & Salty Brown Butter Blondies
Salty and sweet is a flavor combination made in heaven. These Sweet and Salty Brown Butter Blondies satisfy allllll the cravings for these two flavors in a new way. And that means no more having to choose between the two!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 24 bars 1x
- Category: Blondies, Brownies
- Method: Bake
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 ¾ cups packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup potato chips, broken into pieces
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- ¼–½ teaspoon flake sea salt, optional
- Prepare: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees F. Make foil sling for 13 by 9-inch baking pan by folding 2 long sheets of aluminum foil; first sheet should be 13 inches wide and second sheet should be 9 inches wide. Lay sheets of foil in pan perpendicular to each other, with extra foil hanging over edges of pan. Push foil into corners and up sides of pan, smoothing foil flush to pan. Lightly butter foil and set aside
- Make Batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside. In a 10-inch skillet (best not to use nonstick as the dark color makes it hard to see how brown your butter is getting), heat butter over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue to cook, swirling skillet and stirring constantly with heat-proof rubber spatula, until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes longer. Remove skillet from heat and transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Add brown sugar to hot butter and whisk until combined. Add eggs, corn syrup, and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Using rubber spatula, stir in flour mixture until fully incorporated. Stir in crushed potato chips and chocolate chips. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Using a spatula, spread batter into corners of pan and smooth surface. Sprinkle with sea salt, if using
- Bake: Bake until top is deep golden brown and springs backs when lightly pressed, 35 to 40 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking (blondies will firm as they cool). Once removed from the oven, sprinkle with additional flaky salt, if desired. Let blondies cool completely in pan on wire rack, about 2 hours. Using foil overhang, lift blondies out of pan and transfer to cutting board. Remove foil and cut into 24 bars. Enjoy!
Blondies can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for 5 days
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Illustrated
Keywords: blondies, brownies, brown butter, salty, sweet, potato chips, cooks illustrated