If you’re anything like me, you’re constantly on the lookout for quick and easy dinner recipes that fit your lifestyle and diet. This Sweet Potato Gnocchi in Bacon Sage Sauce is paleo-friendly, gluten-free, and dairy-free which fits perfectly into my paleo diet. It is also super quick and easy to put together, making it perfect for dinner on weeknights.
Paleo Sweet Potato Gnocchi
If you’ve been following along, you may have seen my recent post and recipe for Sweet Potato Gnocchi which, my friends, is paleo-friendly, gluten-free, and dairy-free. Score! Click here to get the recipe. Once you have the sweet potato gnocchi prepared, this dinner recipe comes together very quickly and is very satisfying.
Cooking it up
To prepare this recipe, start by dicing some bacon and cooking it until crispy. Reserve the drippings – this is one of the most important and tasty parts to this recipe! Typically, I like to cook my sweet potato gnocchi in ghee or olive oil to keep them paleo and to get them crispy on the outside. For this extra special recipe, I like to use the bacon drippings in which to cook the gnocchi. These delicious bacon drippings enhance the flavor of this paleo dish, boost the bacon flavor, and ensure your gnocchi get crispy on the outside. And who doesn’t love bacon?! (apologies to my vegan friends!)
After the gnocchi has been crisped, add more of those flavorful bacon drippings and sauté the onions. Next, melt the ghee and add the sage and nutmeg. I like to grate in some fresh nutmeg, but dried works perfectly well here too. Now stir it all together and you’ve got yourself one fine paleo dinner dish! And, there’s enough to share, if you’re into sharing. I am not a good sharer, especially when it comes to this dish. Enjoy!Print
This Sweet Potato Gnocchi in Bacon Sage Sauce is paleo-friendly, gluten-free, and dairy-free and it’s super quick and easy to put together, making it perfect for dinner on weeknights.
- Cook Bacon: In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat, add diced bacon and sauté until crispy (about 4-5 minutes). Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Reserve bacon drippings in pan or in a heat proof bowl
- Cook Gnocchi: Heat a nonstick pan to medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of reserved bacon drippings to pan. Add in sweet potato gnocchi in a single layer. Sauté until golden brown on all sides, stirring frequently to ensure all sides get brown, about 8 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside
- Sauté: In the same pan heated to medium-high heat, add 1 teaspoon of reserved bacon drippings and red onion. Sauté until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add ghee to pan and melt. Add sage and nutmeg and stir to incorporate. Remove sauce from the heat.
- Toss together: Toss cooked sweet potato gnocchi, sage ghee sauce, and bacon together in pan or a bowl and serve. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese (omit if dairy-free)
If you have any leftovers, reheat in a sauté pan over medium-low heat for a few minutes. Or, stick in the microwave for a couple of minutes
Recipe adapted from JoyfulHealthyEats.com
- Category: Paleo, Gluten-free
- Method: Stovetop Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potato, gnocchi, pasta, paleo, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, dairy-free, dinner
Pin this Recipe for later!