With its rich, velvety vanilla ice cream base infused with the distinct toasty flavor of malt powder and studded with chocolate chips, this homemade ice cream is dessert perfection. Best of all, this recipe yields a generous quart of Creamy Malted Vanilla Ice Cream, so there's plenty to share—or not!
Whether you're an ice cream aficionado or this is your first time making an ice cream recipe, this homemade Ben and Jerry's recipe is about to become your new favorite.
This recipe calls for malted milk powder. I use Carnation brand and it can easily be found in the grocery store near the hot cocoa mix. Please note this is a churn ice cream recipe so an ice cream machine is required.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There is nothing quite like a quart of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. Unless, it's a homemade version of a Ben & Jerry's recipe! I have been the proud owner of the Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book for many years. And one of the most loved recipes in this cookbook is their Vanilla Malt Chip recipe.
My parents grew up in Brooklyn and the Bronx in New York City when malteds from the corner store were super popular. Malteds are simply milkshakes with the addition of malted milk powder, either vanilla or chocolate malt.
Malted milk powder has a distinct nutty flavor that can also be found in malted milk balls like Whoppers. And this malted ice cream recipe from Ben & Jerry's has been one of their favorite flavors because of that nostalgic flavor.
If you like malted milk ball candies like Whoppers, try my Malt Ball Cookies!
Best Ice Cream Maker
I make this ice cream in a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. It's about $60 on Amazon and has lasted me many, many years. I find it makes the best ice cream. If you like to make homemade ice cream, I highly recommend this kitchen appliance.
It does require you to freeze the ice cream bowl that churns the ice cream. The ice cream bowl should be frozen in the freezer for at least 24 hours before churning the ice cream. I remove the frozen bowl just before I am ready to churn.
Unlike some ice cream recipes that require you to cook the ice cream base then cool it before churning, this recipe requires no cooking of the egg mixture and no ice-water bath or ice bath to cool it down.
Malted vanilla ice cream can be made start to finish in less than one hour. Please note, there are eggs in this recipe that are uncooked. I have never had an issue with that, however, you may want to consider another recipe if you have any issues with consuming unheated eggs.
The best part about making your own ice cream is there no added ingredients like xanthan gum or corn syrup. This recipe uses a handful or fresh ingredients to make a delicious and creamy malted milk ice cream.
Make your favorite ice cream at home with this fully automatic ice cream maker.
Ingredients & substitutions to make Malted Vanilla Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips
Here is a list of all the ingredients you will need:
- Eggs: Eggs are full of fat and protein, helping the ice cream to stay thick and creamy. They also add flavor and give the ice cream its rich, off-white color. Use large eggs for this recipe. I would not recommend any substitutions or alternatives for the eggs in this ice cream mixture.
- Sugar: White granulated sugar is ideal in this recipe. I would not recommend substituting for brown sugar, as that will change the flavor and composition of the ice cream. You will need ¾ cup sugar for this recipe.
- Heavy cream: the high-fat content gives this ice cream its super creamy texture. You can also substitute the heavy cream for whipping cream. Do not substitute for half and half
- Whole milk: whole milk is also important for adding extra fat to your ice cream. You can use a lower-fat milk, however, you may end up with ice crystals in your ice cream.
- Malted milk powder: I use Carnation brand and it can easily be found in the grocery store near the hot cocoa mix. Do not confuse malted milk powder with diastatic malt powder that is used to make bread or beer.
- Vanilla extract: For best results, I recommend using the highest quality vanilla you can afford. You will need two teaspoon vanilla extract for this recipe.
- Chocolate chips: The recipe calls for semisweet chocolate chips. ½ cup does not sound like much, however, it is the perfect amount of chocolate for this recipe. Feel free to substitute for bittersweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, or mini chocolate chips if you would like.
How to make malted vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips
Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. I do this by hand, however, I have tried it with a hand mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment and it works equally as well.
Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.
Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.
Add the malt powder and vanilla and whisk until blended. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Cover lightly with plastic wrap while it sits.
Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions. In the Cuisinart, this will take about 30 minutes.
After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), add the chocolate chips slowly, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.
The ice cream will be soft-serve consistency and can be consumed right away or frozen for 2-4 hours for hard-serve ice cream. Transfer to a clean container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
FOR ALL MY FAVORITE BAKING TOOLS INCLUDING THOSE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT MY BAKING RESOURCES PAGE!
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
Looking for more homemade ice cream recipes to try? Give these a try:
This ultra creamy ice cream recipe starts and ends with bourbon cherries. The ice cream base is rich with creamy texture. And the finished product is topped with graham cracker crumbs mixed with brown butter and brown sugar.
This S’mores Ice Cream combines toasted marshmallow ice cream with graham cracker pieces and Hershey’s chocolate. It just doesn’t get better than that for celebrating the flavors of the season. If you like Ben and Jerry smores ice cream, you’ll love this recipe!
Peppermint + creamy white chocolate = ice cream heaven! These two flavors combine to create a divinely refreshing, smooth frozen treat perfect for the winter holidays or a hot summer's night.
Did you enjoy a KICKASS BAKER recipe? Please share a comment and leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Rating on this recipe! We appreciate you sharing your feedback!
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream or whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup malted milk powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.2 large eggs
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.¾ cup granulated sugar
- Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.2 cups heavy cream, 1 cup whole milk
- Add the malt powder and vanilla and whisk until blended. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.⅓ cup malted milk powder, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), add the chocolate chips, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- The ice cream will be soft-serve consistency and can be consumed right away or frozen for 2-4 hours for hard-serve ice cream. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months in an airtight container
- Store ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months
- Recipe from Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream & Dessert Book