There’s nothing quite like a freshly baked bakery-style muffin served warm with a steaming mug of coffee or tea on any given morning. This makes for an ideal way to start your day.
So comforting and filling and just plain delicious! Now you can bake up some Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Muffins at home with this easy, no-fuss recipe. And indulge at home any day of the week!
Disclosure: I have included links to some great products and services that I think you’ll love. I use them myself and only recommend them because I love them. If you purchase via the links I may earn a small commission.
How to Make Bakery-Style Muffins at Home
The key to achieving bakery style muffins lies in the ingredients used in this recipe and the way they’re baked.
To keep these chocolate chip muffins moist, we use a combination of vegetable oil, milk, and sour cream for added richness.
The way these chocolate chip muffins are baked is also key to achieving that bakery-style size and beautiful dome shape.
Starting with a higher than normal baking temperature, baking for a few minutes, than lowering the temperature for the remainder of the baking time helps to create the domed top that captures the bakery style so well.
And, who doesn’t love a good muffin top? (I’m not talking about the body part that’s so affectionately referred to as a muffin top on some of us, but rather a literal muffin top).
Bakery muffins are usually large in size and flavor! And these muffins mimic both those characteristics for sure.
I recommend using a jumbo muffin pan in which to make these. The recipe does list baking times for both jumbo and standard size muffin pans.
Ingredients needed to make Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
To make these muffins, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder: make sure it’s fresh so it’ll work properly to help your cupcakes rise
- Salt: use kosher salt, however, use whatever kind you have available. Feel free to adjust the level of salt to suit your preferences
- Vegetable Oil: any neutral-flavored oil will work here, such as canola or grapeseed oil. Do not substitute with olive oil, sesame oil or walnut oil, as these carry a distinctive flavor that will affect the flavor of your muffins
- Brown Sugar: either dark brown or light brown will work in this recipe
- Eggs: US size large eggs. Room temperature eggs work best. Remove the eggs from the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to mixing into the batter to ensure they incorporate evenly
- Vanilla Extract: use high quality, pure vanilla for this recipe. There’s a full tablespoon in the muffin batter and the goal is to have that wonderful flavor shine through
- Milk: whole milk works best here, although you can substitute for 1% or 2% with little impact on the end result. I have not tried substituting the milk for non-dairy milk, although it should work just fine in this recipe
- Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt: be sure to use full-fat varieties
- Semi-sweet Chocolate: I would recommend using a semi-sweet chocolate baking bar and chopping it to get those big puddles of melty chocolate on top and throughout the baked muffin. Chocolate chunks or chocolate chips will also work well here
Can these muffins be made Gluten-free?
I have not tried making these muffins gluten-free, however, I have had luck in the past substituting cup-for-cup or measure-for-measure gluten-free flour for the all-purpose flour.
I would recommend a high quality brand such as Bob’s Red Mill. Be sure it says cup-for-cup, measure-for-measure, or 1-to-1 on the label.
Do these muffins freeze well?
Yes! After the muffins have cooled completely, wrap them individually in plastic wrap and place in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Allow to thaw at room temperature at least 30 minutes before serving, or warm in the oven or toaster oven at 350º for 8-10 minutes.
Store in the freezer for about 3 months.
Can I substitute the sour cream and milk in this recipe?
The sour cream can be substituted for plain Greek yogurt in equal amounts.
I have not tried substituting the milk for non dairy alternatives, although it should work just fine in this recipe.
Can I make these chocolate chip muffins vegan?
I have not tried making the recipe vegan, however, I would recommend substituting the eggs for flax eggs (2 tablespoons (18 grams) flax meal + 5 tablespoons (74 ml) water) and substituting the milk and sour cream for non dairy alternatives.
Some brown sugars are not vegan, so be sure to read the ingredients. Wholesome Brand is a vegan variety of brown sugar that would work well here.
The chocolate can be substituted for dairy-free chocolate as well.
What kind of mix-ins can I add in to these muffins?
There are plenty of variations to these muffins you can make! Here are some recommendations:
- Chocolate Cherry Muffins – reduce the amount of chocolate in the recipe by half and add in fresh cherries (pitted and cut into quarters) or frozen cherries (not thawed). Fold into the batter with the chocolate and bake as usual
- White Chocolate Chip Muffins – substitute half or all of the chocolate in this recipe for chopped white chocolate. I would recommend using high quality white chocolate baking bars instead of white chocolate chips, as these do not melt well when baked
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Looking for more muffin recipes? Give these a try:
- Bakery-Style Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Banana Muffins Swirled with Dulce de Leche
- Honey Corn Muffins
- Whole Wheat Coffee Muffins
FOR ALL MY FAVORITE BAKING TOOLS INCLUDING THOSE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT MY BAKING RESOURCES PAGE!Print
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER! PIN THE IMAGE BELOW TO PINTEREST
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.