Cinnamon streusel muffins are a classic treat that everyone should have in their baking arsenal. They are the perfect combination of a soft and fluffy muffin base with a layer of cinnamon sugar goodness in the center of the muffin and a crunchy, sweet streusel topping.
Bakery-style muffins like this one make for great on-the-go weekday breakfasts or for wake-up-late on the weekend brunch!
Try Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins, super popular Double Chocolate Chip Muffins, and Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, too. If you are making round brunch, make ready-in-30-minutes Flaky 2-ingredient Self-rising Flour Biscuits.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why you'll love this recipe for cinnamon muffins with streusel topping
The aroma of spices and sugar that fills the kitchen while these cinnamon muffins with streusel topping bake is enough to make anyone's mouth water. Whether you're enjoying them for breakfast, as a mid-day snack, or with a cup of coffee in the evening, this easy recipe is always a crowd-pleaser.
Muffins make the perfect easy breakfast for when you're in a hurry! And if you want a muffin that will give you an extra boost, Whole Wheat Coffee Muffins are absolutely perfect. Gluten-free lemon muffins swirled with blueberry jam are also a super tasty option that are perfect for spring!
Learn all the best tips for How to Store Muffins so you can enjoy your muffins for as long as possible.
Here are more reasons to love this Homemade cinnamon streusel muffins recipe:
- These delicious muffins make a great grab and go breakfast for those busy mornings when you don't have the time to make a full meal or to stop by your local coffee shops for breakfast
- Not only are these moist muffins delicious, but they also fill your whole home with the sweet and cinnamony scent of coffee cake!
- Homemade cinnamon streusel muffins are easy to make and just as good as those you can get at a bakery. So you can know exactly what goes into them, and save some money too!
Love cinnamon sugar? Try Crispy Cinnamon Sugar Oven-Baked Churros!
Ingredients & substitutions for these tasty muffins
- All purpose flour
- Baking Powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Vegetable oil: substitute with another neutral oil such as canola oil or grapeseed oil. Do not substitute with olive oil; The flavor of olive oil is strong and will affect the flavor of your muffins
- Brown Sugar: you'll need brown sugar for the muffins as well as the streusel topping and filling. Light or dark brown sugar work well here
- Eggs: it is best to allow your eggs to come to room temperature by removing them from the fridge about 30 minutes before baking. This will make it easier to incorporate them with the recipe of your ingredients
- Vanilla extract: you will use vanilla extract in both the muffins and the glaze. Be sure to use pure vanilla extract, not imitation vanilla, for the best flavor
- Milk: I recommend using whole milk for a nice and fluffy texture. Low-fat milk or skim milk will not give you the same results
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt: sour cream or greek yogurt is important for adding moisture to your muffins. It is best to use full fat to get the right texture.
- Butter: both the filling and streusel topping include butter. Be sure the butter is at room temperature for the streusel, as it will be easier to crumble. Use unsalted butter so that you can control the salt content
- Rolled oats: oats give your sweet cinnamon streusel topping the perfect texture. I recommend rolled oats for a perfect crumble
- Confectioner's sugar: you will need confectioner's sugar, or powdered sugar, to make the glaze for your muffins. If your sugar is clumpy, you may want to sift it so that your glaze has a smooth texture
How to make cinnamon streusel muffins recipe
In a small bowl, mix together filling ingredients and set aside. In a separate bowl, add the streusel ingredients. With clean hands, mix together, squeezing to form clumps until all ingredients are incorporated in clumps. Set aside until ready to top the muffins
Gently fold the dry ingredient mixture into the wet ingredients until no dry spots of flour are left.
If using a jumbo muffin tin, add ¼ cup muffin batter to the bottom of each muffin cup. If using a standard muffin tin, add 2 tablespoons of muffin batter to the muffin cups. Add 2 teaspoons of the filling for jumbo, 1 teaspoon for standard
Top with ¼ cup more muffin batter (2 tablespoons for standard). Sprinkle muffin batter generously with crumb topping, dividing it evenly among the tops of the muffins.
Bake for 5 minutes at 425ºF, then lower the oven temperature down to 350ºF for another 15 minutes for standard muffins and 18-20 minutes for jumbo, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the center muffin comes out clean and the tops are golden brown.
Allow to cool in muffin tins for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients together and drizzle on top prior to serving.
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
How to store cinnamon streusel muffins?
Muffins can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Store in the fridge for up to one week.
Can you freeze cinnamon streusel muffins?
These muffins also freeze well! Wrap individual muffins in plastic wrap then place in a freezer safe bag to store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature or warm in the microwave at 50% power for 30-60 seconds.
How to reheat muffins in the air fryer?
There is nothing like warm cinnamon swirl muffins that taste like they're fresh from the oven! If you have an air fryer, you can reheat your muffins to achieve that freshly baked texture.
Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F and reheat the muffins for 2-5 minutes. Total time will depend on if the muffins were at room temperature, refrigerated or frozen.
FOR ALL MY FAVORITE BAKING TOOLS INCLUDING THOSE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT MY BAKING RESOURCES PAGE!
More muffin recipes
These homemade, bakery-style banana chocolate muffins are perfectly domed and moist! A great go-to recipe for when you have ripe bananas to use up!
Dipped in melted butter and coated with a sweet cinnamon sugar, these perfectly fluffy muffins have all of the flavor of donuts with the ease of a muffin!
Indulge in these delicious double chocolate chip muffins without leaving home! With a crunchy top and perfectly moist and chocolatey center, these are sure to be a new favorite!
Make this bakery classic at home with this easy recipe! The perfect accompaniment to your morning cup of coffee for a breakfast you'll look forward to!
Did you enjoy a KICKASS BAKER recipe? Please share a comment and leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Rating on this recipe! We appreciate you sharing your feedback!
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup rolled oats old-fashioned
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup full-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup confectioners' sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon milk or enough to make a pourable glaze
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, mix together filling ingredients and set aside.3 tablespoons butter, ½ cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a separate bowl, add the streusel ingredients. With clean hands, mix together, squeezing to form clumps until all ingredients are incorporated in clumps. Set aside until ready to top the muffins¼ cup rolled oats, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ⅓ cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan with liners or spray with nonstick spray and set aside. If making standard sized muffins, line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cupcake liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a separate large bowl, mix together with a wooden spoon the vegetable oil, brown sugar, eggs, milk and sour cream until well incorporated.⅓ cup vegetable oil, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 large eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, ½ cup whole milk, ½ cup full-fat sour cream
- Gently fold in the dry ingredient mixture until no dry spots of flour are left.
- If using a jumbo muffin tin, add ¼ cup muffin batter to the bottom of each muffin cup. If using a standard muffin tin, add 2 tablespoons of muffin batter. Add 2 teaspoons of the filling for jumbo, 1 teaspoon for standard, then top with ¼ cup more muffin batter (2 tablespoons for standard)
- Sprinkle muffin batter generously with streusel topping, dividing it evenly among the muffins
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425ºF, then lower the oven temperature down to 350ºF for another 15 minutes for standard muffins and 18-20 minutes for jumbo, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the center muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in muffin tins for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients together and drizzle on top prior to serving⅔ cup confectioners' sugar, pinch of salt, 1 tablespoon milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Store muffins at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Store in the fridge for up to one week.
- Wrap individual muffins in plastic wrap then place in a freezer safe bag to store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature or warm in the microwave at 50% power for 30-60 seconds
- Nutrition facts are for 6 jumbo muffins