It's all about the grilling during Summer. And, this Kickass BBQ Sauce takes grilling to the next level! It's flavorful, smoky, tangy and has just the right amount of kick to it. You're gonna love every bite.
What makes this BBQ sauce so awesome:
- Sweet & spicy barbecue sauce comes together really quickly
- This bbq sauce is the perfect addition to use on everything grilled
- It keeps for a long while in your fridge
- It has just the right amount of heat
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade BBQ sauce recipe
I typically make a really large batch of this sauce because my family loves it so much and I slather it on everything in the summer - chicken, burgers, ribs, and use it as a dipping sauce.
My kids like a decent amount of spice, I must say (this secretly makes me proud for some reason!) and this sauce has just the right amount of it.
Of course, you can always add more by adding more chipotle chiles - why not?! I say go for it!
Get some cooking and let me know what you think!
Ingredients and substitutions for sweet and spicy bbq sauce recipe
- Ketchup: use whatever brand of ketchup you prefer. Look for one without high fructose corn syrup, if possible
- Honey: any kind of honey will work here. You'll need 6 tablespoons
- Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce: these come in a can and can be found in the Mexican food aisle of the grocery store. Use more or less chiles to increase or decrease the spice level in this bbq sauce
- Apple cider vinegar: may be substituted with white vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard: do not substitute with yellow mustard
Instructions to make sweet & spicy barbecue sauce
Stir all ingredients together in a medium saucepan or large saucepan.
Bring to a boil over medium heat or medium-high heat then lower heat to low
Simmer for 15-20 minutes until thicker in consistency.
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
FAQs for sweet & spicy BBQ sauce
Is BBQ sauce vegan?
BBQ sauce that you buy at the grocery store (for example: Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce, Heinz, Stubbs, G Hughes) is often vegan, but certain flavors may include animal products.
In this recipe, honey and some brands of Dijon mustard are not vegan. Worcestershire sauce is another common ingredient found in a barbecue sauce recipe that is not vegan. BBQ sauce with garlic or brown sugar are more likely to be vegan.
Can you put BBQ sauce in air fryer?
Yes, you can put BBQ sauce in the air fryer. Coat your any meat in BBQ sauce and toss it in the air fryer to avoid going outside to use the grill. This spicy sauce tastes great on chicken, pork and burgers and really gives it some zing!
How long does BBQ sauce last in the fridge?
Store bought BBQ sauce lasts six to nine months in the fridge. This sweet & spicy homemade BBQ sauce will keep in the fridge for several weeks.
How to store homemade BBQ sauce?
To store homemade BBQ sauce, allow it to cool completely, then place in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How do you spice up sweet BBQ sauce?
For a spicy kick, add any spices such as garlic, onion powder, black pepper, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, jalapeno peppers, red pepper and/or hot sauce.
What are common ingredients in BBQ sauce?
Common ingredients in BBQ sauce recipes include vinegar, tomato paste, ketchup, mustard, sugar, salt, molasses, apple cider vinegar, mustard powder, celery seeds, dark brown sugar, white wine vinegar, smoked paprika, maple syrup, honey and liquid smoke or natural smoke flavor.
FOR ALL MY FAVORITE BAKING TOOLS INCLUDING THOSE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT MY BAKING RESOURCES PAGE!
Did you enjoy a KICKASS BAKER recipe? Please share a comment and leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Rating on this recipe! We appreciate you sharing your feedback!
- 1 cup ketchup
- 6 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons honey
- ½ 7-ounce jar chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil then lower heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until sauce thickens
- This sauce will keep in the fridge for several weeks
- Inspired by and adapted from Ultimate BBQ Chicken recipe from Cooking Light
This is so easy!!!!!! Gotta try it!
I will have to see if my kids like the spice level too!
The Kickass Torrents
This website truly has all the info I wanted concerning this subject and didn't know
who to ask.
Yay! So happy you found my blog!