These Salted Caramel Stuffed Dark Chocolate Cookies are also known as Better Than Sex cookies. Need I say more?
Just look at these! They’re huge and stuffed with ooey gooey melty caramel all wrapped up in decadent dark chocolate and topped with just the right amount of flaky sea salt. You can go no wrong with these cookies!
Caramel Stuffed Cookies
Homemade cookies are really good, am I right? Well, stuffing homemade cookies with caramel makes them 10 times better! And, some might say, better than sex (wink, wink!). Luckily stuffing these cookies with caramel is super easy to do with Rolos. If you’ve never had a Rolo before, they’re milk chocolate candies with melty caramel in the middle. When the cookies bake, the caramel in the middle gets even more gooey and drippy than straight out of a room temperature Rolo, making them perfect for cracking in half and pulling apart slowly to get the full effect, like in the picture below.
Inspiration for these cookies
I feel really fortunate to have lots of friends who also love to bake like I do. One of my dearest friends has a wonderful husband who is an avid baker. He shares his baking goodies with our knitting group on a weekly basis and often shares his recipes with me. As you can guess, this recipe came from him. He’s been making it for years, has many variations for stuffing the cookies and mix-ins, and blushes when he refers to the alternative name of these cookies as Better Than Sex Cookies lol!
Tips for Making This Recipe
- Look for unwrapped Rolo candies when purchasing for this recipe. It is so much better than having to unwrap 18 chocolates for these cookies. Plus, then you can easily reach in and grab a couple to pop in your mouth once you’re through preparing the cookies! I found unwrapped Rolos at Walmart and Amazon, although I’m sure they are also available at places like Target (what isn’t available at Target?!) and possibly major grocery stores
- The cookie dough for this recipe is quick thick and sticky. It’s supposed to be that way, however, it can be difficult and messy to work with when you’re rolling the dough into balls and stuffing with caramels. My friend’s husband who gave me this recipe highly suggests wearing latex or rubber gloves when rolling and stuffing the cookies to help with the mess and clean-up. I say you take him up on this suggestion
- Go easy on the flaky sea salt on top! A little goes a long way here and you’re better off going easy on the salt than overdoing it. If you’re making these for kids, you may want to leave the salt off of some or all of the cookies all together
- These cookies may appear underbaked when you pull them out of the oven. This is intentional! Leave them on the hot trays for several minutes after removing them from the oven and they’ll firm up. If you try to move them to cooling racks too soon, they may fall apart. We can’t risk that!
These Salted Caramel Stuffed Dark Chocolate Cookies are also known as Better Than Sex cookies. Need I say more? They’re ooey gooey, decadent and topped with just the right amount of sea salt.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- 18 chocolate coated caramel candies, such as Rolos, unwrapped
- Flaky sea salt
- Prepare Cookie Dough: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, granulated and brown sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. In a separate medium sized bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together. With the mixer on low, slowly add to the wet ingredients. Stir in the milk, then fold in the dark chocolate chips. The dough will be thick and very sticky
- Stuff Cookies: Roll dough into approximately 36 – 1 tablespoon-sized balls. Place a caramel into half of the balls of dough. Top each caramel with another ball of dough and seal down the sides so that the caramel is securely stuffed inside. Very lightly sprinkle each with sea salt
- Bake: Bake for 12-13 minutes. Cookies will appear underbaked and very soft. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely
- Cookies stay fresh and soft in an airtight container up to 7 days
- Baked cookies can be frozen up to 3 months
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rolo cookies, dark chocolate, salted caramel, stuffed cookies, better than sex cookies, salted cookies, sea salt
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more just like it! And, don’t forget to Pin this recipe for later!