There's nothing quite like s'mores in the summertime. That roasted marshmallow goodness paired with melty milk chocolate and crispy graham crackers brings about pure, unadulterated joy.
How about all those flavors rolled into the favorite of all favorite no-bake treats?! Yep, that's right.
I threw together Rice Krispie treats with the campfire goodness of s'mores and came out on the other side with this mile-high S'mores Rice Krispie Treats that's sure to be a crowd-pleaser this summer!
Please note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made by clicking the links in my post.
How to combine S'mores and Rice Krispie Treats into one
S'mores are a good ol' American summertime treat. Melty, toasted marshmallow cooked over a campfire plus a square (or 4) of Hershey's milk chocolate sandwiched between crisp graham crackers creates smiles and memories to last a lifetime.
I am clearly a huge fan of this summertime dessert, as are my kids. So, in my quest to create as many s'mores dessert recipes as possible, I realized what better way than to combine it with the easiest of all childhood no-bake desserts - Rice Krispie treats! I also highly recommend these iconic Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal bars - delicious and marshmallowy with these fun childhood cereal as the base.
S'mores Rice Krispie Treats come to life
These S'mores Rice Krispies Treats follow the typical recipe for Rice Krispies Treats with a few changes to really bring the s'mores flavor to life. It starts with browning the butter instead of using straight up melted butter. The browned butter adds a little bit of nuttiness that adds some complexity in flavor to these treats.
Next comes the marshmallows. There's a bit more marshmallow in here than in the classic Rice Krispie recipe, as I wanted them super ooey and gooey in the finished treat.
Two Cereals are Better Than one
In order to maximize the chocolate flavor in these S'mores Rice Krispie Treats, I substituted regular Rice Krispies for Cocoa Krispies. Now, if you have been following along, you know that chocolate for breakfast is typically not allowed in my house. This is a tradition passed down from my mom.
So, I had to sneak this box of cereal into the house without my kids' knowledge. All to avoid the inevitable, never-ceasing questions of when they could break open the box and enjoy Cocoa Krispies for breakfast. I was mostly successful.
To incorporate that texture and flavor of the crisp graham crackers found in s'mores, I added in yet another breakfast cereal: Golden Grahams! They are simply perfect in these S'mores Rice Krispie Treats.
Hershey's chocolate is the go-to for s'mores so you bet I used them in this recipe to complete the flavor profile in just the right way. Also added in are some mini marshmallows for added texture. Plus, they're just plain fun! And you can break out the kitchen torch to toast the ones on the top to finish off these S'mores Rice Krispie Treats.
Double Layered S'mores Rice Krispie Treats
These S'mores Rice Krispie Treats are layered and set up in a smaller-than-usual Rice Krispie treat pan to create a mile-high, substantial treat your friends and family will love sinking their teeth into.
Half the mixture is pressed into the pan and topped with Hershey's chocolate bars and mini marshmallows. Then the remaining half of the Rice Krispie treat mixture is added on top and topped off with more Hershey's chocolate and mini marshmallows. It's a double-sized no-bake treat perfect for summer!
Tips for Making S'mores Rice Krispie Treats
S'mores Rice Krispie Treats are stick-y! And once you get even a little bit on your hands, game over. It's nearly impossible to get it off cleanly without stopping what you're doing and washing your hands. So, here are my tricks for keeping the s'mores treats together instead of on your hands.
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper or wax paper then spray the paper really well with nonstick cooking spray or coat with softened butter. This will make it so much easier to take the s'mores Rice Krispie treats out of the pan then off the paper once they've cooled
- After all the ingredients are mixed together in the pot, do this before you begin putting into the prepared pan: Take a small square of wax paper or parchment paper and spray it really well with nonstick cooking spray or coat with softened butter. Dump half the treat mixture into the pan, then, with the sprayed piece of wax paper in your hand, press the mixture down into the bottom of the pan. If you try to do this with your hands, you'll wind up with sticky mixture all over your hands rather than in the pan. Keep this square for smoothing out the second layer of s'mores treats, too
- As difficult as it may be to wait, I recommend waiting at least 30 minutes until the treats have cooled before cutting into them. Not only will they be much easier to handle (see above notes re: stickiness), but they'll hold together much better. As the melted marshmallow cools, it acts like glue to hold the s'more treats together
- If you want to get fancy like I did for these photos, use a kitchen torch to toast the mini marshmallows on top of the s'mores Rice Krispie treats once they're done. It adds a nice hint of campfire taste to these treats and helps bring that summertime flavor to life just a tad bit more
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for lots more recipes just like this one! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images below the recipe. Or, click on any of the images in this post to save to Pinterest.
Looking for more s'mores treats this summer? I've got lots of 'em! Check out these recipes:
- Line an 8x8 inch square baking dish with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray or coat with butter. Set aside
- In a large pot, add butter and melt over medium-low heat, cooking and stirring with a heatproof spatula until the butter is just browned and smells nutty (keep an eye on it and be careful not to cook it too long or it’ll burn).
- Turn heat to low. Add marshmallows to pot and stir until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is smooth.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Remove from heat, add in Cocoa Krispies and Golden Grahams followed by 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows, stirring well to combine. Mixture will be sticky!
- Add half the mixture to the prepared pan.
- Using a small square of wax or parchment paper that’s been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, press down on mixture to form an even layer in the pan.
- Sprinkle half the remaining mini marshmallows and half the hershey’s bar pieces on top.
- Repeat the layers by adding the remainder of the Cocoa Krispie mixture on top and pressing down, then sprinkling with mini marshmallows and chocolate
- Allow to cool then cut into 16 squares.
- Store cooled treats in baking pan, loosely covered with wax paper or place in an airtight container for up to 1 week
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER! PIN THE IMAGE BELOW TO PINTEREST
Notice: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. By clicking on any of these links, you are consenting to us to place cookies on your browser.